Monolith conic grind adjustment tip

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Compass Coffee

#1: Post by Compass Coffee »

It only takes about a 1/4 turn of the knob to loosen to adjust collar. My tip is make sure you snug it back up good, what will happen and what to do if you don't! If you don't snug it enough when turned on to grind in the blink of an eye it's where'd the arrow go as it spins to coarser! I've pulled about 20 shots of 4 different coffees since it hit my counter late afternoon yesterday and once yesterday and once again this morning didn't snug it enough. Both times I foolishly just brought the arrow back counter-clockwise to where it was, reloaded and ground. Resulting in WAY too coarse. In that blink of an eye it had rotated over 360 degrees. So what to do is really quite simple and feel rather stupid I didn't do it automatically at least after it happened this morning. With motor running and no beans rotate adjustment counter-clockwise (finer) until hear slightest burr touch chirp and then bring arrow back clockwise to adjustment target and snug it up. Like duh the basics. I can't believe twice I assumed when not snugged enough it had only jumped a small distance. I'll excuse myself the first time yesterday as a learning curve with the grinder but again this morning good grief! :oops:
Mike McGinness

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#2: Post by mivanitsky »

Thank you for the useful tip, and I can totally see myself making this error, having not been warned. If you spin it long enough, I wonder if you can launch the funnel and outer burr?

Hopefully, only Denis will ever know the answer to the question. The flat will obviously be able to do the same thing, but spins faster, so caution may be more necessary here.

shawndo

#3: Post by shawndo »

Heh, this happened to me as well.
KafaTek Monolith 68mm conical single-doser

the K10 has a pin to prevent that but ends up limiting the range if you actually did want it to be that coarse for brew or something. I think it's a good trade off.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

nuketopia

#4: Post by nuketopia »

I did that twice and figured it out. Snug the collar knob after making an adjustment and all is good.

Compass Coffee (original poster)

#5: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

shawndo wrote:Heh, this happened to me as well.
KafaTek Monolith 68mm conical single-doser

the K10 has a pin to prevent that but ends up limiting the range if you actually did want it to be that coarse for brew or something. I think it's a good trade off.
Oh sure remind me of your post so I really have no excuse! I now remember reading it back then but of course did not think of it yesterday or this morning when it happened to me. So I'm officially a dunce. May have a low end genius IQ but still a dodo. :lol:

Yeah many grinders not just K10 have range stoppers pins etc. I always to take them off and toss 'em. They get in the way burr replacement time and often had to be moved just to initially dial in for espresso.
Mike McGinness

Bob_McBob

#6: Post by Bob_McBob »

It can't actually happen on the K10, because like most commercial grinders there is an internal spring that provides enough friction to prevent the burr carrier from rotating. The stop pin is just to prevent the grinder from being adjusted by the operator outside a specified range. The Monolith doesn't rely on anything except the precision fit of all the components to keep the burrs aligned, so you need to lock the burr carrier properly or it can spin freely.
Chris

Bob_M

#7: Post by Bob_M »

I dud it once. Nice that it spins to coarse instead of fine as in HG-1 n

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#8: Post by mivanitsky »

Exactly. I spun the HG-1 burrs tight while seasoning with rice. This was a very big pain to undo.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by FotonDrv »

Yep, the HG-1 will spin tighter and that is no bueno!! The current HG-1 will not allow for that to happen.

Glad these will spin coarser.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#10: Post by mivanitsky replying to FotonDrv »

worse on your now motorized one, no doubt!

(not to imply that you have locked up the burrs since you motorized it!)