Name That Grinder!

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cstavro

#1: Post by cstavro »

I walked into a pawn shop for some speaker stands today. I didn't find stands and the owner gave me this grinder for free.

I know it's an 83 mm flat burr, Saeco, 240V 650W. However I don't know the model. It needs a few parts (I hope) before I can use it.

Can anyone ID this grinder? Is it worth fixing? tia

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

It's a very close "cousin" to the Mazzer Major (yours has nicer lines/curves in my opinion). Those burrs look surprisingly good from coming from a pawn shop. Or any place used for that matter. They look essentially unused.

Does the motor run? Can you adjust the collar smoothly? What parts does it need?

At the price of "free", barring any serious flaw, I don't see how you can't win out on fixing it up. If it's just a hopper and doser you need, the hopper is likely cheap. And although dosers are expensive, there's work arounds using things like 2 liter bottles.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee »

Never seen a commercial grade Saeco branded grinder and searching the 'net find nothing. Who knew! If the motor runs without wobble I'd definitely try and fix it. I'd snag/borrow some worn out used Mazzer Major burrs and see if they fit. (If you were in the US I'd send you a pair no problem.)
Mike McGinness

Beenbag

#4: Post by Beenbag »

It's a rebranded Fiorenzato F6
http://www.fiorenzato.it/prodotto/f6/
A very solid machine, and a hell of a score for that price !
Fitting Mazzer burrs would be a downgrade in my mind :shock:

FYI.. Saeco are part of the Philips organisation and in Europe they rebrand many products like this..even commercial espresso machines with the Saeco brand

gor

#5: Post by gor »

Mazzer burrs don't fit, I've tried. The bolt hole pattern is slightly off if you try fitting a mazzer burr.

It is the fiorenzato burr that you need, even then I've encountered two types of 83 mm flat burr. The old original one and a newer version. The difference being a slightly larger outer diameter on the newer version, only a couple of mm I think. The measurement of the burr carrier on the motor shaft is what will determine which version of the fiorenzato burrs you use.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by FotonDrv »

You should have purchased a lottery ticket that day! That sure was a good score even if you have to work out the voltage and the discharge chutes.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Beenbag

#7: Post by Beenbag »

Compass Coffee wrote:Never seen a commercial grade Saeco branded grinder and searching the 'net find nothing. .......)
http://www.espresso-machines-me.com/gri ... nder-p-165

LukeFlynn

#8: Post by LukeFlynn »

Interesting, I don't see how Major burrs would be a downgrade.. I love my Major... millions of miles ahead of my SJ..

Compass Coffee

#9: Post by Compass Coffee »

I spent over a half hour searching going 10 pages deep and didn't find it! Guess my search engine didn't like Dubai. :lol: (Wisely I'll add, got hit by major cc fraud run in Dubai couple years ago)
Mike McGinness

cstavro (original poster)

#10: Post by cstavro (original poster) »

Thank you guys! So I have a Saeco Hercules / Fiorenzato F6.

A google search still doesn't bring up much useful (I even went to page 3!). I'll try Faema, Zuccharini's and idrinkcoffee tomorrow. It is missing the doser, and a switch (l don't need a hopper). clean-machine in Australia sells parts. Of course, I'll try to see if it runs before l spend money on parts.

It says 240V, and it has a 120V grounded plug. Do they convert it to 120V when they sell it here? Should l be concerned with the bunch of wires hanging out the side ;)

I found two listings on kijiji.ca toronto for Saeco Hercules; both in the $300 range. I'm already thinking that buying one used will still be cheaper than buying a new doser et.al. I'm not sure I could even fix it, sell it, and recoup my money. I wouldn't keep this machine myself anyway; it's a beast. I'd want something the size of a mazzer mini-e. I run a machine shop...maybe l can make something using the 83mm burrs :)