Favorite Espresso Blends

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
wsurfn

#1: Post by wsurfn »

I am not the grand experimenter of beans that many of you are. I find one I like, and I stick with it. Usually cost, shipping hassles, or a bad batch makes me stray. I have been lost, but I finally found one I really like of late. Onyx Ozark Copper Espresso. I use bottled water (Crystal Geyser - from AK), so maybe that helps. To me this is a really nice balanced blend. Not boring nor too bright. But, I am bummed I can only buy it in 12oz bags (unless you live locally).

I live in Austin, TX and Wild Gift and Cuvee rule here. I have tried almost every Cuvee bean over the years, and I don't love the flavor profiles. Wild Gift Rude Boy tastes savory good but relatively bland, and Troublemaker tastes like a better version of Cuvee to me. I have not tried Dallas' Tweed.

I began with Intelli Black Cat in 2008 ( which I suspect has changed a lot now), then on to Metropolis' Redline, then moved to a subscription of Counter Culture Toscano a few years later, then on to the amazing value of 5 lb.bags of Redbird Espresso. I have tried (a few years ago) and really do like Stumptown Hairbender, but I felt it was too expensive. Now, I am paying similarly for the Onyx Ozark Copper. I like being able to purchase 2-5 pound bags at a time to keep shipping costs in check. Freezing beans is fine with me.

If you have a go to favorite that you think I would like, I am interested.

41fivestar

#2: Post by 41fivestar »

Intelli Black Cat still holds a special place in my heart. I worked for a wholesale account of theirs and was trained through them.

Equator's Tigerwalk is consistent and tasty. It's slightly on the darker side, but complex and goes well with milk.

I haven't had their espresso, but Greenway in Dallas has tasty drip coffees. I'd wager their espresso is good as well.

I've been steering away from the super light and bright coffees, single origin or not. I'm catering to a milk drink crowd and they like darker coffees.

wsurfn (original poster)

#3: Post by wsurfn (original poster) »

Justin thank you for your suggestions. I will give Tigerwalk a try.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by emradguy »

Greenway is in Houston, actually. They do supply cafes in Dallas and Austin and David, the owner, often drives to Austin himself with some frequency...and I've had their coffees at Cenote as well as their two cafes in Houston (Tuscany Coffee in Greenway Plaza and Blacksmith in the Montrose area). They also do online orders, but as said, they specialize in drip/pourover (well...I bet John (their head roaster) would disagree with that, but for my personal taste, most of what they roast is better served using non-espresso methods - and that's probably because I tend to prefer blends for espresso). Their espressos are very good, but there's usually one only blend available, and sometimes it's...not (available). The last year or two, John has been doing African-Mexican blends for their espresso, and I tend to prefer South and Central American beans over the Mexican varietals. They installed a Loring several months ago...fwiw.

As for online ordering, I am very fond of Nossa Familia Full Cycle. When I first started drinking it (mid-September 2014), there was a very prominent, intensely pleasurable, walnut character to it. I've not tasted that over the past 6 months or so, but am still really enjoying it as my go to 'spro. Using the HB discount, you get 2# bags delivered for ~$30 each. I typically buy 4# lots from them (2 2# bags) for $58 shipped.
LMWDP #748

Balthazar_B

#5: Post by Balthazar_B »

There are so many good blends out there. One I can recommend is The Sermon from Verve Coffee Roasters. A really outstanding combination of New World and Ethiopian components.
- John

LMWDP # 577

brianl

#6: Post by brianl »

I have tried almost everywhere and the only consistently good blends have come from CCC. Hologram now but it's tasting a little too bright this iteration so ill drop down to the more comfort tasting one next time. Really, shipping costs are killing me so I tend to stay towards ones with subscriptions. Onyx is definitely on my radar. You'd think being from Chicago would give me options but everyone here roasts super light in their espresso blends (and I have bad luck with Intelly). Ha

Im interested to see what comes up in this post.

clyq

#7: Post by clyq »

If you like a classic espresso, Gimme Coffee was pretty good.
If you like berry notes, George Howell's Reko was pretty good.

clyq

#8: Post by clyq »

[Duplicate] Please delete.

gzim

#9: Post by gzim »

Having tried several that you mention, and probably not completely having my skills or dialing them in, but my impressions with many of the espresso, are they are a bit too dark, with a bit too bitter a finish for me. My consistent favorite is Le Colombe Nizza... Several of the Coffee Shops I really like (Sagtown in Sag Harbor NY, Acadia Coffee in Maine) use this coffee and I really like its caramel notes. I understand it is on the lighter side of a medium roast.
I have also tried Intellegensia, Cafe Grumpy - Heartbreaker, Stumptown (cant remember the name) and found all of them with a stronger bitter citrusy finish.

I am still trying many more, but for me, so far the most consistent is Le Colombe's Nizza. Having tried a few of their others, also found them too bitter or too bright.

I have not seen Le Colombe mentioned much on the Coffee Forums...

Igor

#10: Post by Igor »

I have used many single origin beans for espresso and many have been amazing. In fact, I never stick to one coffee but regularly try different blends and single origin coffees. I think this is what's great about coffee. Chasing a taste you like is fine, but like music, trying something new can lead to something unexpectedly great.