Just bought a Gaggia Classic and the steam is a joke

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dak52

#1: Post by dak52 »

Hey guys,

After a great deal of research I just bought a Gaggia Classic. I would have liked a Rancilio Silvia but it was out of my price range. Anyways, used to own a em6910 (dual thermoblock machine very popular in australia) and I have to say, the Gaggia seems to be an improvement so far when it comes to the coffee, but things are a bit different when it comes to steam.

I have tried steaming both with and without the little plastic "Pannarello" thing, but either way, the steam capacity is a joke. I am getting maybe 20-30 seconds of decent steam.

Anyways, I just have a couple quick questions.

1. I hear that if I start steaming before the "ready" light comes on, then the boiler will stay on and the steam will last longer. Is this true?
2. The other thing I have heard is that switching to the Rancilio Silvia V1/V2 steam wand will improve the pressure. Will this also up the steam capacity since it will in theory be more resistive to letting out all the steam?

I can't really afford to return this for a different machine, but this steam has me really down. I have been saving for a long time, and this was a big purchase. I just hope I can come up with a solution.

-David

day

#2: Post by day »

Yea you need to pull a flush for cold water, switch to steam wait like 10 -15 seconds (adjust based on experience and assuming the machine was already at temp) then open the steam valve and purge then steam. Once the light turns on the game is over. 6 oz will work well 12 is def max to get it up to temp with decent spin. Also dont expect to get a good rotation, aim for more of a 45 degree angle and create a wave that resonates off the back with a slight rotation. You can def get it good for 6-12 oz, based on 5 years experience with one.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Exordium01

#3: Post by Exordium01 »

Get the Silvia V1 steam wand. It makes a huge difference. It might not be the greatest for frothing milk, but mine produces plenty of steam to make a decent cappuccino.

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

What exactly were you expecting the dear old Gaggia classic to do? It has a 3 oz boiler. Like others have said, the silvia steam wand helps but it's not a miracle worker.

JmanEspresso

#5: Post by JmanEspresso »

Either the Silvia steam wand upgrade, OR.. if its still available these days, the "latte art" pannarello tip, will make it so you dont have to steam with the little nubbin that is left after removing the craptastic pannarello sleeve.

You MUST. MUST. Temperature surf the boiler to steam on the Gaggia Classic. I owned one as a backup machine for a little while, and I was never dissapointed with the machine. Its certainly capable. Switch to steam mode and see how long it takes for it to be "ready". Then, you need to start steaming about 10-15seconds before it says its ready, so the heating element stays on throughout the steaming process. The steam will get dryer and dryer as you go. I used to purge the wand two or three times as it was heating up. Serving two purposes, you clear out the condensation, and you get an idea of how much steam pressure is built up. When you are done steaming, ALWAYS remember to refill the boiler, by running the pump with the steam knob open until you get a steady stream of water coming out of the steam arm.

Assuming you have a proper espresso grinder to go with the machine.. not to mention fresh roasted coffee, then the Classic should make for a nice companion. Dont expect it to do things it cant do, and it shouldnt let you down.

There is a Gaggia Users Group out there, It used to be Yahoo I believe.. Im sure someone will chime in and direct you there. Entire group of Gaggia Fanatics, they've got these machines memorized and know every trick and tweak to make them work their best.

FirstBetta

#6: Post by FirstBetta »

http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com is the link for the users group.You'll find a lot of info for the Classic as well as well as a lot of other Gaggia models.

HoldTheOnions

#7: Post by HoldTheOnions »

Prolly more extreme option than you are interested in, but thought I would throw it out there anyway. I've seen people wrap copper inlet tubing around the boiler to effectively increase the size of the boiler, but I'm not sure if this helps the steam or not.

http://www.sallee.org/greg/gaggia/006.jpg

https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... ods/566170

JavaBuzz

#8: Post by JavaBuzz »

If you want a cheap workaround option (maybe until getting a Silvia v1 wand), that makes the panarello wand act more like a normal wand, you can put tape tightly over the holes near the top of the black plastic wand (around the area where it screws together).

This blocks most of the airflow out the top, makes the wand act more normal, and gives you a bit more steam power too. A stretchy tape (like electrical tape) will probably work best.

This should also slightly increase the quality of the microfoam.

takeshi

#9: Post by takeshi »

dak52 wrote:I would have liked a Rancilio Silvia but it was out of my price range.
Even if it was in your price range the CC1 is frequently suggested for those considering the Silvia.