Does anyone else use an electric milk frother?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
whitedime

#1: Post by whitedime »

I have a single boiler machine so I bought a separate milk frother. just put the button and depending on the time I can get milk foam, steamed milk or anything in between really. Can I use this effectively for latte art ? I find in most cases it just sits on top of the coffee. Does anyone else use one of these ? Is it inherently "different" than using a steam knob ? Does anyone make a stand-alone steaming machine if I decided to "be authentic" I do not wish to do the whole temperature surfing thing trying to use both the steam wand and brewing a cup, on my ECM classika.

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

I'm using a frother as I can't be bothered with latte art, I do not understand how you get steamed milk though..mine only heats the milk to the exact temperature required and whips it to the sortof consistency needed for cappa's
LMWDP #483

Advertisement
whitedime (original poster)

#3: Post by whitedime (original poster) »

i was not aware of a difference

shawndo

#4: Post by shawndo »

properly steamed milk is something special and is quite different than a frother. If you can find a good 3rd wave shop, you might get lucky and find a good example of this.

They do make standalone steamers.

The "Bellman" is the usual recommendation and they make a stovetop and electric version.
There is an electric one in the Buy/Sell forum currently or you can usually find them on ebay.
Search for "bellman electric" It also can technically make coffee so they don't have "steamer" in the name.

The more expensive options include Astra among others:
http://www.astramfr.com/product-category/steamers/
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

MB

#5: Post by MB »

A couple of options that I have used at work:

AeroPress tamped coffee, high pressure, low volume boiling water method. Microwave milk, whip with a battery wand, and drag stirrer straw through foam blob for the flower decoration. Nicer than plain milk or cream added to coffee, but doesn't have the silky feel of steamed milk.

That was before bringing the EspressoForge to work. Now I use a Mr. Coffee steam toy just for the milk steaming. (Warning - it took forever to get the factory smell out of the steamer.)

Sipped before I thought to take a photo.
LMWDP #472

bluesman

#6: Post by bluesman »

Marcelnl wrote:I'm using a frother as I can't be bothered with latte art, I do not understand how you get steamed milk though..mine only heats the milk to the exact temperature required and whips it to the sort of consistency needed for cappa's
What you need for artful cappuccino is not steamed milk - it's foamed milk. The steam tip will incorporate air into the milk if held at the right angle and position relative to the surface of the milk (search on this and you'll find many many HB threads detailing and debating techniques). Once the volume of the milk has increased sufficiently as foam is created, submerging the tip at an angle that makes the milk in the pticher "roll" will diffuse the foam throughout the milk, leaving it looking like well mixed white house paint. Doing this well creates microfoam that gives the milk sufficient texture and body to both pour artful designs and enhance the mouth feel of the drink without being too thick.

Just plunging the steam tip into the milk and holding it under the surface will heat the milk, but it won't make microfoam. Electric "frothers" like the Nespresso Aeroccino heat and beat the milk, creating a thick foam that (at least in my hands) is useless for pouring art but does make tasty latte. I bought an Aeroccino to use in my office, but it's been sitting in a drawer because it just makes thick milk, albeit with a pleasant taste and texture in the mouth. The other thing about properly foamed milk for cappuccino is that the process seems to precipitate or otherwise bring out the milk sugars, so it tastes really good.

Every once in a while, I remind myself that most Italians don't bother with art in their coffee. Many add sugar and even more stir it - so art is not an integral part of the cappuccino experience in most parts of the world. And many prefer thick, stiffer foam for latte. To each his (or her) own.

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

whitedime wrote:I have a single boiler machine so I bought a separate milk frother. just put the button and depending on the time I can get milk foam, steamedmilk or anything in between really. Can I use this effectively for latte art ? .
Just to clarify, my wonder was about the reference to steamed milk coming from a frother.
My experience is that the texture of the frothed milk is close to that of steam frother milk, sweetness is the same as the milk is heated to the exact temperature.
But as you say, as most Italians I don't bother with latte Art, I don't use sugar in anything but the taste of the cappa at home is pretty close to the one at work where they use a KvdW Mirage to steam the milk, be it that the texture is a bit better for longer with the KvdW.
LMWDP #483

Advertisement

#8: Post by whitedime (original poster) »

i have found my electric milk spinner/whipper thing is perfectly capable of latte art..

bluesman

#9: Post by bluesman replying to whitedime »

What kind do you have?

#10: Post by whitedime (original poster) »

i got it on amazon for $30