IMS Baskets

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

I have been using the HQ baskets for quite some time now. They were starting to get worn out just a tad, so I decided to pick up some new baskets. I was originally thinking of the Strada/VST baskets. Then I spoke with Ryan at Espresso Parts and he told me how great the IMS baskets were, I decided to pick them up. At $30 a pop, they are about the same price as VST/Stradas, and they were well worth it. I got a much more even extraction then I typically do, it was extremely rich and creamy. Overall, I'd recommend them, I purchased the 16/20 gram basket which is roughly the same size as the HQ-14 I typically use. Fits 18 grams of coffee superbly. I'm super stoked to try out their shower screens too, I hear they are a great combo.

IMAWriter

#2: Post by IMAWriter »

LukeFlynn wrote: I'm super stoked to try out their shower screens too, I hear they are a great combo.
I've been using the show screen for nearly a year. I really like it. I use a flat bottomed tamper, and it is a bit less curved than my HQ or OEM Strega screen, I believe.

Edit: On the other hand, I have the IMS Single basket, and have had absolutely zero luck with it. I have no problems doing singles with the OEM Strega basket. Happy to sell to you cheap if you want it. I've tried it 5-6 times. Guess I'm too impatient! :oops:

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#3: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to IMAWriter »

Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, I really prefer doubles, they are just easier to make. I've been into espresso for almost two years, and I've never liked shots out of single baskets.. too many gushers.

On the other hand.. awesome that you're in TN!

csepulv

#4: Post by csepulv »

I have the IMS 12/18g basket and typically use 16-18g. I've been really happy with it and its been my favorite basket. (I also have the usual suspects...traditional Faema, HQ, etc.)
Chris

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

IMAWriter wrote:I've been using the show screen for nearly a year. I really like it. I use a flat bottomed tamper, and it is a bit less curved than my HQ or OEM Strega screen, I believe.
The IMS 200 screen area is flat whereas the HQ & standard E61 screens are convex. You pick up about 2mm of head space with the IMS E61 screen.
LMWDP 267

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

LukeFlynn wrote:Overall, I'd recommend them, I purchased the 16/20 gram basket which is roughly the same size as the HQ-14 I typically use. Fits 18 grams of coffee superbly.
The IMS h26.5 16/20 basket is almost identical in shape to the HQ14 but is taller. Hg14 is pretty much maxed at 18g whereas the IMS will hold a bit more.
LMWDP 267

IMAWriter

#7: Post by IMAWriter »

JohnB. wrote:The IMS 200 screen area is flat whereas the HQ & standard E61 screens are concave. You pick up about 2mm of head space with the IMS E61 screen.
John, would you mean conVEX? Unless I damaged my HQ, it protrudes outward.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

Right you are. Edited the post to correct.
LMWDP 267

brianl

#9: Post by brianl »

I would say they are pretty similar to my VSTs in finickyness. Albeit, I only have a triple IMS so maybe a lower dosed one would be better.

That being said, a finicky VST shot is usually better than a shot with a regular basket (I always whip one out to compare when my naked extractions aren't as pretty.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

I pulled out my IMS h26.5 16/20g basket this morning. First off I remembered why I hadn't used it much. The basket is smaller then all my VSt & Hq baskets. My Pullman tamper gets stuck in it & my RB tamper that I use everyday is a very (too) snug fit. I have one tamper that will fit well but it's not my favorite. As far as finickiness it falls between the VSTs & HQs. Not bad really. As far as the shots it produces I still prefer the HQs for blends. The IMS might have an edge with a S/O but personally I wouldn't buy another for $30 when the HQs are only $7.
LMWDP 267