Shots too short

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
geontemt

#1: Post by geontemt »

Long time reader first time poster. I started 5 years ago with my wife's Breville and a Baretza Encore. Two years ago we upgraded to Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Rocky. Six months ago we upgraded to Rocket Cellini and started roasting our own coffee. Last week we upgraded to a Mazzer Mini E.

The espresso tastes worlds better with each upgrade but I continue to have the same problem, the shots are always short. 16 grams of espresso yields 12-17 grams of espresso when it blonds, time between 25-30 seconds. If I make it any coarser the espresso gushes out. Also, I think the espresso has less body and more watery at the 17 grams.

Transitioning to the Mazzer the grinds seem to take up less space in the basket for the same weight which is making it a little harder to groom my portafilter. I am attributing this to the fact the Mazzer is significantly more consistent than the Rocky at similar grind settings.

At this point I know it is technique and not equipment. I have watched Dan's videos multiple times over the years as well as reading everything in the How To's and a lot in the tips. Any help would be appreciated.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#2: Post by EspressoForge »

Do you have a bottomless portafilter? If so are you getting an even extraction? If you aren't sure, it could be that you're having channeling. If it looks even probably something else is going on.

Try at least to make sure your distribution is good using another technique that doesn't involve the grinder (WDT, or dose from a cup/bowl).

You could also try grinding a bit finer and dosing lower, if you're using a standard double the "standard" Italian dose is 14g, so try that with a finer grind and work your way up, rather than the other way around.

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

Would also suggest to start with a known blend, not a SO bean and start with 14 g, tinkering with the coarseness as I also suspect your solution is there
Would not pay that much attention to the extraction time itself but let results in the cup prevail.
LMWDP #483

geontemt (original poster)

#4: Post by geontemt (original poster) »

I do have a bottomless portafilter. With my Rocky I doses into a bowl, aggressively agitated with a fork, and then pore the grinds in the portafilter using the fork. I have tried this with the Mazzer and tried dosing straight into the portafilter with similar results. When I make the grind coarser (what I feel is too coarse) I do have significant channeling. I have used a local roasters espresso blend with the same results. As I said with the mazzer the grinds take up less space for the same weight, this makes it hard to distribute as the grinds are much lower than the top of the portafilter. This makes me think I need to grind coarser and increase my dose but then I get significant channeling and it tastes bad. If I just increase my dose I choke the machine. Also, at the end of extraction, the moment after blonding (where I would stop it anyways), I have sudden significant channeling despite having a nice even extraction leading up to that point, is this normal?
Thanks
George

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#5: Post by EspressoForge »

I wouldn't say it's normal. You should ideally get an even extraction and it should last for a while, I often find it difficult to cut the shot as the blonding is very gradual. Sudden blonding in my experience is either a problem with the coffee or the grinder.

It could just be that your grinder burrs need a bit more seasoning, likely they'll break in over time, and your grind setting may drift. Don't be afraid to try a much finer grind than you think. Try going very fine until you choke your machine, then back off from there until you get a good extraction. Going the other direction is much more difficult.

brianl

#6: Post by brianl »

I sometimes have this problem and it's always due to a combination of aging coffee and a canted tamp. I would recommend grinding finer and tamping lighter. It seems that the harder I tamp, the less level it becomes.

#7: Post by geontemt (original poster) »

I have tried grinding fine enough to choke my machine and then backing off and tamping lighter. This is really the only time I get a good extraction, although short, but at the end when the shot blonds it always starts channeling. This was happening with the Rocky as well.
Thanks again
George

Advertisement
Bikeminded

#8: Post by Bikeminded »

A channeling, blonding, dilute mess was all I could ever get with my Rocky. What a cluster. Expensive mistake. Bought an HG One and loving it.

I do wonder if the Mini E could benefit from running a couple boxes of instant rice through it to break in the burrs. It was a breakin suggested for the HG One (although I only did a half a box.) Possibly someone with more experience could comment on that.

#9: Post by geontemt (original poster) »

I have read multiple post about the pros and cons of running rice through it and have come to the conclusion that I do not feel comfortable doing it. I have almost 3 pounds of beans through it though.

brianl

#10: Post by brianl »

Most recommendations are usually for about 20lbs to break it. So you have quite a ways of growing pains. Unless you ask your local roaster for stale coffee.