Airflow/Heat dynamics during roast

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Lydbox

#1: Post by Lydbox »

Looking for guidance on how I shift power/airflow settings according to where I am on the profile curve.
I understand that each coffee/taste preference varies but are their certain key principles to follow e.g. start at Heat X , airflow Y and when hit yellowing down on heat to X -1 and when hit 1C increase airflow to Y+1 or something like that?

hankua
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by hankua »

Here's a blog post on the Bullet R1
http://coffeenavigated.net/learning-the-bullet/

renatoa

#3: Post by renatoa »

Be aware that this knowledge applies to drum roasters only... fluid bed has a vastly different airflow model, Gene, turbo oven, etc... other models.

thepilgrimsdream

#4: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

No clue what you're roasting on mate.

I know that Scott Rao and Joe Marrocco have really pushed variable airflow, but I think it just introduces an unnecessary variable and is more forgiving than having the wrong fixed airflow.

If your coffee is dry and hollow, you have too much.

If your coffee is heavier, but smoky, you have too little.

It's a balance.

Zanderfy

#5: Post by Zanderfy replying to thepilgrimsdream »

+1. Especially in the Quest, airflow is large and uncertain variable re. best practices. Airflow can also impact the travel of chaff during the early phases, and even the development stage. I wonder if chaff color (which has been explored before) could offer meaningful airflow insight.

If you use fixed airflow on the Quest, is it also measurable/repeatable via the cigarette lighter test?

thepilgrimsdream

#6: Post by thepilgrimsdream replying to Zanderfy »

Cigarette trick doesn't work on the Quest unfortunately, but I just use maximum airflow the whole time. It allows me to use a lot of power without worrying about my MET. Batches taste super clean and sweet. I haven't roasted any Brazil's or low growns that being said.

When roasting on a commercial machine I cut pieces of paper into various sizes to measure the airflow. This may possibly work on the quest with thinner paper. I'm sure there is probably a more accurate way, but it works well enough for me

Lydbox (original poster)

#7: Post by Lydbox (original poster) »

thepilgrimsdream wrote:....When roasting on a commercial machine I cut pieces of paper into various sizes to measure the airflow. This may possibly work on the quest with thinner paper. I'm sure there is probably a more accurate way, but it works well enough for me
I like this, can you explain the paper trick to measure airflow...intrigued!

aecletec

#8: Post by aecletec »

Using paper resistance is ingenious... but a wind speed gauge can also be had for under 20 bucks...
https://hankua.wordpress.com/2014/09/28 ... -air-flow/