Best grinder for brewed coffee

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Phobic

#1: Post by Phobic »

any views on which grinder delivers the best for brewed?

EK seems to be seen as the best all rounder, but is it the best for brewed? if it is which burrs are best and why?

what about the Marco uber grinder?

I have an EK with new coffee burrs, think it works fantastically well, just wondering if there's anything better out there....can't seem to find an answer

CwD

#2: Post by CwD »

Welllll, you could always get a roller mill...

Or maybe one of those big industrial grinders like the Mahlkonig DK 27. Not sure how they perform. Might be better, might not.

Outside that I don't think you're going to find anything better. I guess an R120 would be a bit different, but probably more of a side grade.

RyanJE

#3: Post by RyanJE »

Better for what? Taste, speed, workflow???

Can't imagine much need beyond an EK for purely taste..even then, it's no slouch in the speed department..
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Phobic (original poster)

#4: Post by Phobic (original poster) »

best for taste.

I think the DK27 is a little bit on the large side for home use, or even cafe use!

as for roller mill, only seems to be an option for industrial scale, can't seem to find anyone using them in the home/cafe.

I've been looking into alternate grinding solutions and the best I can come up with is something from the pharmaceutical industry which have very specific particle distribution control, there are desk top variants that would work but I'm yet to find anything that's not massively prohibitive on price - the search continues.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by RockyIII »

An EK43 seems like overkill for light home use. If I was going to buy a brew only grinder for home use, my first thought is a Baratza Forte BG. It is small, doses by weight, has a grounds bin, and is not the least bit messy.

Rocky

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

Phobic wrote:best for taste.

I think the DK27 is a little bit on the large side for home use, or even cafe use!

as for roller mill, only seems to be an option for industrial scale, can't seem to find anyone using them in the home/cafe.

I've been looking into alternate grinding solutions and the best I can come up with is something from the pharmaceutical industry which have very specific particle distribution control, there are desk top variants that would work but I'm yet to find anything that's not massively prohibitive on price - the search continues.
Links please!! :D
LMWDP #483

thecoffeefield

#7: Post by thecoffeefield »

RockyIII wrote:An EK43 seems like overkill for light home use. If I was going to buy a brew only grinder for home use, my first thought is a Baratza Forte BG. It is small, doses by weight, has a grounds bin, and is not the least bit messy.

Rocky
+1

Almico

#8: Post by Almico »

Fuji Royal R-220 for home.

I'm loving my R120, but it's not a home grinder (nor is the EK43). I'll miss it when my coffee bar build out is complete.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#9: Post by mivanitsky »

For light home use, one might try the Monolith Flat, with which, at 500 RPM and brew grind settings (not espresso), the particle distribution curve looks substantially similar to that of the EK43, per Socratic Instagram publications. It also makes espresso, as opposed to EKspresso, at espresso grinds, which I much prefer.

Having said that, I have never tried mine for brew/pourover/press, as I have a Tanzania that does very well for these applications. The Monolith Flat hopper does not without a canning funnel hold 65g, which I will use for a pot of filter coffee.

I personally could not recommend buying Monolith Flat for this purpose primarily, since I have no experience with it this way, but if one has it, trying it might be a good idea.

rmongiovi

#10: Post by rmongiovi »

I sent email asking about the Monolith Flat for drip. Denis Basaric replied, "these are grinders designed primarily for espresso and while they do work for brewed coffee I think there are better options for that."