Where to try and shop in person around San Francisco?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Hudiny

#1: Post by Hudiny »

I've been looking for my first machine/grinder combo for a while and my head is starting to spin...
Hopper or single dosing, flat or conical, Monolith vs Ceado 37 vs the humble Sette, an E61 group head or the reputedly more stable but worse tasting bdb brew head, etc. etc.

I want to try so that I can make an educated decision.

Would you recommend an espresso gear shop or a tasting experience in the Bay Area (or California) that allows trying out different machines, grinders, and roasts before you buy?

Coastie44

#2: Post by Coastie44 »

I have the same dilemma. I'm not satisfied to just read about all of them. I need to see in person,touch and examine how things like the the filling tank works etc.

I've decided to just live with my trusty old gaggia for another few weeks. And then try to find a weekend where I can fly to Portland and go to the Seattle coffee gear that is there, and Clive coffee. They're both easy driving distance from each other

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

Try Great Infusions in Santa Cruz.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Hudiny (original poster)

#4: Post by Hudiny (original poster) »

Thank you, Randy! Also loved your article about your trip there.
Great infusions, here I come! ...once I'm back from vacation :)

Coastie44

#5: Post by Coastie44 »

Coastie44 wrote:I have the same dilemma. I'm not satisfied to just read about all of them. I need to see in person,touch and examine how things like the the filling tank works etc.

I've decided to just live with my trusty old gaggia for another few weeks. And then try to find a weekend where I can fly to Portland and go to the Seattle coffee gear that is there, and Clive coffee. They're both easy driving distance from each other
Well, I couldn't wait after all. I just watched a ton of videos and decided what was important to me. Then I called Clive Coffee and asked more questions. I ended up buying a Profitec 300 from Clive and it arrived yesterday! It's exactly what I wanted - fast warmup, great steam, easy to fill with water, and reasonably small footprint (well, a lot bigger than the Gaggia it replaced, but smaller than a lot of the others). Also, I didn;t like the idea of having to flush an e61 heat exchanger every time before a shot. We live where there are water restrictions and that just didn't feel right. So the double boiler system with PID for tight termperature monitoring fit the bill perfectly.

chipman

#6: Post by chipman »

Let me second the vote for Great Infusions. Not only do they have a decent range of equipment, their service is second to none. They may be my most favorite retail store i've ever forked money over to.