Starbucks to open in Italy - plus a little perspective - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Almico

#21: Post by Almico »

It took people a few years to get used to walking into a SB and ordering a tall, grande, venti or whatever. I never did and would just order a small coffee.

But as a tourist, I might be a bit intimidated walking into a proper Italian coffee bar and trying to order. SBs will inevitably do well in touristy locale.

earlgrey_44 (original poster)

#22: Post by earlgrey_44 (original poster) »

duna wrote:Starbucks in Italy? Heh, they will have a hard time.
yakster wrote:It's been seven years since I visited Milan, but if it's a Reserve Roastery location, I think it'll do well, at least with tourists because of the difference in focus and the showpiece nature. .
What a great bunch of input on this thread... I learned a lot.
It makes sense that they are opening a Reserve. Their typical North American product would likely fall flat. The reserve offerings give them a shot.
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

Advertisement
mathof

#23: Post by mathof »

Almico wrote:It took people a few years to get used to walking into a SB and ordering a tall, grande, venti or whatever. I never did and would just order a small coffee.

But as a tourist, I might be a bit intimidated walking into a proper Italian coffee bar and trying to order. SBs will inevitably do well in touristy locale.
If the Starbucks is in a busy tourist area, it's very likely that the bar staff in the "proper Italian coffee bars" nearby will speak enough English to deal with customer orders.

Don't worry. Try it.

Matt

Marcelnl

#24: Post by Marcelnl »

Almico wrote:It took people a few years to get used to walking into a SB and ordering a tall, grande, venti or whatever. I never did and would just order a small coffee.

Just walk in, pay at the counter, order a caffe or a doppio and show the ticket to the barista...not too intimidating IMO :D
LMWDP #483

Almico

#25: Post by Almico »

Marcelnl wrote:Just walk in, pay at the counter, order a caffe or a doppio and show the ticket to the barista...not too intimidating IMO :D
I'm afraid if I did it wrong:

dominico
Team HB

#26: Post by dominico »

Just released today; relevant to the discussion.

Coffee - Italians do it better? A documentary
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Marcelnl

#27: Post by Marcelnl »

:lol: that never happened to me so far, but it just might happen someday....

The good part is that there usually is another coffee bar near so you can try again 8)
LMWDP #483