Is THIS "tiger striping"?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
TheCappuccinoKid

#1: Post by TheCappuccinoKid »

I don't think my gear etc. is actually good enough for the elusive "tiger striping" I'm reading about... but then I'm not really sure how to spot it. And this cup I produced does look like "tiger stripes" to me. I don't usually get the crema to look this way, and not on most machines. So does this crema signify something?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Historically, it meant the stripes as the espresso fell from the bottomless basket. Short of diagnostics for even extraction, the presence or absence of it bears little consequence in the cup. Some coffees and/or blends do it more than others.

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

stefano

#3: Post by stefano »

Too hard to tell from the cup. My gut reaction says that a smaooth cream is made from traditional "tiger striped" pull form a bottomless protafilter. Of course the coffee type and amount of cream may skew this.

EDChris

#4: Post by EDChris »

Yeah, the striping is an artifact of the pull, not the in cup result. Apparently what you see in the cup is called "tiger flecking", which looks kind of like the video inverse of that cup (creme where it's dark, dark where there's crema).

Stanic

#5: Post by Stanic »

the other name is mottling..some examples of mine:

shawndo

#6: Post by shawndo »

"Mottled" crema is another keyword for that

*stanic replied first
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by samuellaw178 »

It may be your lighting, but if there's one takeaway from the crema picture, I would think your machine was pulling on the colder side (evident by the pale crema & dark mottles). But if you like the taste then it's all good.

TheCappuccinoKid (original poster)

#8: Post by TheCappuccinoKid (original poster) »

Thanks for the responses, I understand the whole "tiger strping" concept better now... it's a reference to the pull with a bottomless, more than the look in the cup. I do not use a bottomless, so I will in the future call what I have shown in the picture "mottling". Now speaking of dark crema, I've always wondered exactly what the crema should look like... sometimes my crema is dark, sometimes it's a lighter brown. Is darker crema generally better?

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by RockyIII »

TheCappuccinoKid wrote:Now speaking of dark crema, I've always wondered exactly what the crema should look like... sometimes my crema is dark, sometimes it's a lighter brown. Is darker crema generally better?
I think you will find the following thread on the subject of crema color worth reading:

Ideal crema is dark, light, or golden?

Rocky

Stanic

#10: Post by Stanic »

another good example I've managed to create today with the Portaspresso