Adding Robusta? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
another_jim
Team HB

#11: Post by another_jim »

CoffeeRoastersClub wrote: ... I have been using 10% robusta in my blends; do you do around that for the blends you use for your cappas?
I use 15%. When you use blended whole beans, there's roughly a +/- 5% variation of blend components shot to shot; so a 10% component can sometimes end up at 5%. Even 15% can get inconsistent, and I prefer to have a 20% minimum in blends. But the Robusta I'm currently using is quite aggressive, so 15% works best.
Jim Schulman

CoffeeRoastersClub

#12: Post by CoffeeRoastersClub »

Thanks Jim for the info. I will start with 20% and work back from there. Looking forward to my next roast!

Len
"I'll quit coffee. It won't be easy drinking my Bailey's straight, but I'll get used to it." ~TV show Will & Grace

yakster
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yakster »

another_jim wrote:If you use Robusta, roast it separately ... Roasted Robusta keeps a long time in a valve bag; it's better after three weeks, when the petroleum aromas are gone; and it's better roasted slow and well into the second crack. You can roast a batch and use it for blending 5 to to 10 batches over the next few months.
Great advice. I'd heard that Robusta kept longer, this makes it more practical especially when blended in at 10 - 15%.
another_jim wrote:BTW, I'm not a fan of it in most straight espresso (whiskey and cigar blends excepted); but I love it in cappas. It adds some low toned muscle to the taste, and it makes the latter art pop.
I'd like to hear more about these whiskey and cigar blends.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

another_jim
Team HB

#14: Post by another_jim »

yakster wrote:I'd like to hear more about these whiskey and cigar blends.
Try a preblend of Kenya and (Sulawesi or PNG), roasted somewhere between the first pops of the second and where it gets rolling; you should be getting a some cloves or mulled red wine smells from the Kenya. This is an old school, after dinner blend (i.e. brandy and cigars); add the Robusta for cappas, but probably not for regular brewing.
Jim Schulman

IMAWriter

#15: Post by IMAWriter »

CoffeeRoastersClub wrote:Thanks Jim for the info. I will start with 20% and work back from there. Looking forward to my next roast!

Len
At my age, with 20% Robusta in my blend, I'd be VERY near a bathroom! haha

yakster
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster »

another_jim wrote:Try a preblend of Kenya and (Sulawesi or PNG), roasted somewhere between the first pops of the second and where it gets rolling; you should be getting a some cloves or mulled red wine smells from the Kenya. This is an old school, after dinner blend (i.e. brandy and cigars); add the Robusta for cappas, but probably not for regular brewing.
Thanks, Jim, I'll have to give this a try.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272