Difference in texture and mouth feel?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
SpecC

#1: Post by SpecC »

Hey all, I recently returned back from a trip to NY in which I sampled many great shops. I ended up making it to Boxkite, Voyager espresso, everyman Espresso, third rail, and another 1-2 that escape me.

Upon returning home to went back to my local shop (which is great BTW) and noticed a distinct difference in the texture of the drinks. I drank my fair share of straight shots but also many Cortados and Macchiato's and every shop in NY was much thicker, silkier, richer and generally much more appealing. Locally its much thinner and more watery for lack of a better word.

As a newbie to preparing espresso, what is the likely cause for this? What variables would one change to address this?

Thanks

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Concerning the milk drinks, did you specify what milk you like at these various places? I recently experimented with a bunch of different milks. I was using 2%, but now use whole. The type of milk makes a huge difference. When we lived in NZ I suddenly had a lot of trouble getting decent foam. Upon checking with the barista at my favourite coffee shop, I was told they never use that brand...can't get consistent results. Go figure! Also, the way the milk is foamed makes a difference. Using the same jug of milk I sometimes hit it just right and get an incredibly good mouth feel, even with 2%...other times I miss a bit. I do find that the chance of error is greater with the 2% than with the whole milk. Also, I use a thermometer every time. I tried to judge it by hand, but when I measured the temperature of the foamed milk with my thermometer a bunch of times I found that I was sometimes way off. I do find that pulling to the desired volume before reaching 80-degrees F makes for the best result. The rest of the time is spent just heating the milk and breaking up the bubbles into microfoam. I always stop by 140 F...any hotter and the milk breaks down resulting in a thin cup.

As for espresso, I've experienced big variations both in cafes and at home. I find that temperature is a major factor. I use an EricS thermometer in my Magister and shoot for something in the puck between 85 C and 90 C. Any hotter and it tends to be bitter and thin.

That's my 2-cents worth.

Advertisement
SpecC (original poster)

#3: Post by SpecC (original poster) »

Thanks! I didn't specify what type of milk so whatever they use as the default is what I received.

Definitely the drinks I received in ny were much more enjoyable.

flchriso

#4: Post by flchriso »

SpecC wrote:Hey all, I recently returned back from a trip to NY in which I sampled many great shops. I ended up making it to Boxkite, Voyager espresso, everyman Espresso, third rail, and another 1-2 that escape me.

Upon returning home to went back to my local shop (which is great BTW) and noticed a distinct difference in the texture of the drinks. I drank my fair share of straight shots but also many Cortados and Macchiato's and every shop in NY was much thicker, silkier, richer and generally much more appealing. Locally its much thinner and more watery for lack of a better word.

As a newbie to preparing espresso, what is the likely cause for this? What variables would one change to address this?

Thanks
Do you know what grinder your local shop uses? Did you check out any of the grinders that were at the NYC shops you liked most?

shanec

#5: Post by shanec »

I'm going to guess that the NYC shops used whole milk and your local shop is using 2%. Try asking your local shop to use whole milk for your next drink and see what you think.

SpecC (original poster)

#6: Post by SpecC (original poster) »

flchriso wrote:Do you know what grinder your local shop uses? Did you check out any of the grinders that were at the NYC shops you liked most?
I'll have to check the local shop. Here's a pic of voyagers setup. I don't know my grinders well enough to id these
http://dailycoffeenews.com/wp-content/u ... 20x539.jpg

SpecC (original poster)

#7: Post by SpecC (original poster) »

shanec wrote:I'm going to guess that the NYC shops used whole milk and your local shop is using 2%. Try asking your local shop to use whole milk for your next drink and see what you think.
I'll ask them and specify whole milk if they're using 2%.

Advertisement
Almico

#8: Post by Almico »

Whole milk is only 3% milk fat, so there isn't much difference with 2% milk. I use both interchangably at home and can't really distinguish once foamed.

LukeFlynn

#9: Post by LukeFlynn »

The actual brand of the milk could make quite a big difference as well, not all whole and 2% milk is created equally.. especially in different parts of the country.

avid

#10: Post by avid »

A member here at HB suggested covering the bottom of the steaming pitcher with Half & Half before adding the milk. Try it, it might work for you.