In 2017 what are some of the better coffee bean storage containers? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
aecletec

#11: Post by aecletec »

Simon345 wrote: So if vacuum is now considered a negative and cfs costs hundreds of dollars what are most of you using?
Negative pressure might gently alter some chemical reactions but the presence of gas CO2 or not isn't the same thing. Weigh up against less oxidising of the beans which is actual staling.
If I recdall correctly, in the first 24hrs the CO2 gas is leaving the beans due to pressure from roasting, then after that degassing occurs due to chemical, not pressure reactions - so vacuum in a rigid container might affect that less. I've not seen actual analyses of how these reactions interact, but I have experimented with vacuum pressure created by a hand pump (not just vacuum tight packagaing) and it helps preserve some nuance at the expense of body to my perception.

3cordcreations

#12: Post by 3cordcreations »

salvia wrote:They exist: https://www.masontops.com/collections/s ... wide-mouth.

I haven't used them for coffee-I keep my coffee in the bag it comes it-but I have used them for pickling/fermenting. Here's a batch of cauliflower in salt brine:
Nice, thanks! We also ferment but haven't used these.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

Simon345 wrote:
So if vacuum is now considered a negative and cfs costs hundreds of dollars what are most of you using?
Vacuum sealed canning jars & a freezer.

Would carbon dioxide emmission from freshly roasted beans have any chance to shatter a sealed mason jar?
I put my roasts into canning jars immediately after the cool down. Even after 3 days aging on the counter with the lid tightly sealed the most I ever here is a short, quiet p'ssst.
LMWDP 267

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by jwCrema »

JohnB. wrote:Vacuum sealed canning jars & a freezer.
+1. Stone simple, ridiculously cheap, and freezing thrown it for good measure.

bluesman

#15: Post by bluesman »

Simon345 wrote:Would like to hear which types of currently available containers people currently have success with to keep beans fresh? For my workflow I will be storing the remenants of a 1kg bag that don't initially go into my hopper, and the system needs to be straightforward enough (ie wirh any vacuum sealing etc....) that it isn't annoying to top up the hopper every few days from the container.
I use these ($25 or so for the set when I last bought them a few years ago at Bed, Bath & Beyond). They keep my beans and my pasta flour fresh & free of other food odors. I use 8 oz Ball jars for freezing beans.

borislav

#16: Post by borislav »

Simon345 wrote:Would like to hear which types of currently available containers people currently have success with to keep beans fresh? For my workflow I will be storing the remenants of a 1kg bag that don't initially go into my hopper, and the system needs to be straightforward enough (ie wirh any vacuum sealing etc....) that it isn't annoying to top up the hopper every few days from the container.
I've used an Airscape canister for years and I'm very happy with it. I "stage" beans in a small mason jar, which I refill from the Airscape every couple of days or so.

Tanax

#17: Post by Tanax »

Related to this topic, what are some of the better *single-dosing* coffee bean storage conainers?
I've only found Lyn Weber..

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by RockyIII replying to Tanax »

The LWW glass bean cellars were out of stock for a while, but they are now available again.

Rocky

Shenrei

#19: Post by Shenrei »

i use these clear glass jars from Amazon. They work great and they reside stacked in my coffee cabinet. There are amber jars available but IMO less eye-catching if that matters to you. In my picture, I have each jar filled to 18g.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018SFOZYA/

- Tim

[creative nickname]

#20: Post by [creative nickname] »

LMWDP #435