In 2017 what are some of the better coffee bean storage containers?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Simon345

#1: Post by Simon345 »

Would like to hear which types of currently available containers people currently have success with to keep beans fresh? For my workflow I will be storing the remenants of a 1kg bag that don't initially go into my hopper, and the system needs to be straightforward enough (ie wirh any vacuum sealing etc....) that it isn't annoying to top up the hopper every few days from the container.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by RockyIII »

I think storing in the original bag rolled up tightly, as long as it is a good quality bag with a one way valve, is as good as or better than other short term storage containers that I have tried.

Rocky

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

I think this is the best:

Coffee Freshness System

Ira

Simon345 (original poster)

#4: Post by Simon345 (original poster) »

Thanks. Interesting read up. Unfortunately the Coffee Freshness System is out of my price range. As part of reading up on it though, I saw mention tht vacuum containers are discouraged because they pull the remaining carbon dioxide out of the fresh beans which effectively accelerates aging...

This also makes me wonder why most of the solutions i have seen include a 1 way valve to vent carbon dioxide and "keep beans fresh", and cfs seems to be going to a bumch of trouble to introduce extra carbion dioxide? Anyways here is me de-railing my own thread..... :D

So if vacuum is now considered a negative and cfs costs hundreds of dollars what are most of you using?

[creative nickname]

#5: Post by [creative nickname] »

I'm a fan of keeping it simple. For my own roasts, mason jars work great. They stay on the counter for stuff I'm going to drink right away, or into the deep freeze for stuff I want to save for up to a few months down the road. I like the ones with colored glass to help limit UV degradation of the beans.

For really long-term storage (mostly of greens) I use a vacuum sealer and store the sealed bag deep in the chest freezer.
LMWDP #435

Simon345 (original poster)

#6: Post by Simon345 (original poster) »

Would carbon dioxide emmission from freshly roasted beans have any chance to shatter a sealed mason jar?

[creative nickname]

#7: Post by [creative nickname] »

I leave the lids cracked for the first 15 minutes or so, then close them up. It has never been a problem.
LMWDP #435

Advertisement
brianl

#8: Post by brianl »

I close up the bag and then put in an airscape thing. Usually without the middle plunger thing.

3cordcreations

#9: Post by 3cordcreations »

[creative nickname] wrote:I leave the lids cracked for the first 15 minutes or so, then close them up. It has never been a problem.
I was thinking it would be a neat idea to have one-way valves in the mason jar lids. I like them also, just don't like sealing up fresh beans.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

salvia

#10: Post by salvia replying to 3cordcreations »

They exist: https://www.masontops.com/collections/s ... wide-mouth.

I haven't used them for coffee-I keep my coffee in the bag it comes it-but I have used them for pickling/fermenting. Here's a batch of cauliflower in salt brine: