Finding an electrical short in a lever espresso machine? - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bill
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by bill »

Charlene wrote:I tossed my slide rule in favor of scientific calculators and computers for which I have written electrical measurement programs.
You tossed your slide rule? I still have my Post Versalog, although the only time I used it after leaving college was to figure my gas mileage! :o
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!

Charlene

#22: Post by Charlene replying to bill »

Oh, that's funny, Bill! :lol:

bettysnephew

#23: Post by bettysnephew »

I'm just a retired industrial maintenance mechanic with a fairly strong background in electrical/electronics from 43 years of industrial experience. Couple years of school but lots of hard knocks some of which hurt. :D
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

Charlene

#24: Post by Charlene »

My initial advice to the OP remains... find someone qualified to troubleshoot this problem for you ...or, take it to a shop that is qualified to service it.

Charlene

#25: Post by Charlene »

bettysnephew wrote:I'm just a retired industrial maintenance mechanic with a fairly strong background in electrical/electronics from 43 years of industrial experience. Couple years of school but lots of hard knocks some of which hurt. :D
+1

peacecup (original poster)

#26: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Well, a lot of interesting responses.

The machine has very few electric parts - these are:

a heating element
a thermal cutoff
a pressure stat
an on-off switch
a light bulb

I guess to simple test is to see if there is any resistance between any of the poles and the chassis? That would indicate leakage presumably.

The machine is grounded, and I'm pretty certain the outlet is grounded because I had an electrician here a little while back. Most of the house however is not grounded - not a requirement when the house was built.

The machine does not trip a portable GFI outlet which I think is working, according to the reset button anyway.

I noticed I have a small cut on my finger where I thought I was experiencing the shock - perpaps it was a skin irritation.

The good news is that I got the Lusso back in action with a new heating element, so now I can test the Export at my leasure.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."