Grinder advice, budget less than $1000 - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#11: Post by mivanitsky »

Best grinder in the cup at $1000: a well-aligned HG1.

This choice is definitely not appropriate for all comers, but if a little effort and 30sec of grinding doesn't bother you, it's a great choice for single dosing. I'm sure the big Kinu will be equal in quality.

If you want a motor, there are myriad options. Used Titans of both conical and flat varieties can often be found in this range, but usually a burr replacement is required. There are 80mm flat burr grinders that you can buy new in this range as well. If you are in the $1k range, you want to have flat burrs bigger than 64mm, or conical burrs bigger than 49mm.

thesharpener

#12: Post by thesharpener »

I really love my HG-1, but after California tax and shipping it'll be a little over $1100. Highly recommended if you're okay with manual grinding.
Pete - LMWDP #572

r7

#13: Post by r7 »

The Eureka Zenith 65E would be my $1k choice.

Here is a great review on it by a reviewer that does professional reviews for Bella Barista:

http://coffeetime.wdfiles.com/local--fi ... ni%20E.pdf

nuketopia

#14: Post by nuketopia »

If you want an electric grinder for espresso, for less than $1000, either a Baratza Vario (and put $500 back in your pocket) or a Baratza Forte would be my choices.

Although the Vario is made out of plastic and has relatively small burrs, when new, performs as well many grinder costing twice as much. The Forte is the same basic design, just rendered in more durable metal. It is also less than $1k.

duna

#15: Post by duna »

A nicely used Mazzer Super Jolly or Major would make a clever choice to add to the grinders you already suggested and well within your budget (or half of it if you look carefully and go for a dosered machine). I do not suggest a Mini E (also 64 mm burrs like the SuperJolly, in the more compact package of the Mini, perfectly suited for light professional use or home) as these tend to be expensive also when used, due to high demand. Mazzers are solid and dependable machines and can offer a lifetime of good service. Dosered versions are not top choices anymore and sometimes it is possible to find pretty decent deals, at least in Europe, but Mazzers are well-known and available evertwhere. Macap equivalents could also be attractive choices as they work quite well.

jma2

#16: Post by jma2 »

+1 for the Ceado E6P v.2. I went through this exercise earlier this year and researched most of the grinders in the $500-$1,200 range, Eureka, Fiorenzato, ECM, Profitec, Mazzer, Rocket, ... sigh. After reading countless reviews and comparing specs, I decided on the Ceado. I was looking for a no-frills grinder, so I focused on simplicity (less electronics), burr size, and horsepower. It has large 64mm burrs and a 300 watt motor. The electronics are simple-just two easily programmable time buttons and a manual function. Finally, I liked the portafilter holder for grinding; it's very convenient. I've had it for 3 months now and couldn't be happier. It has a simple industrial look, and it is built like a tank. Looks great in my kitchen. Good luck.