Solo tamp - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Séb

#11: Post by Séb »

ebola5114 wrote:I've already thought doing something like this desing and my concern when I thought it it was the following: if you have your hand dirty you would transfer its dirt to the distribution face every time to use the tamp face... Hope you understand what I try to explain.
You made a very good point here, but since it replace the Stockfleth's method....quite equal!

Jean

#12: Post by Jean »

The Solo tamp is actually less expensive compared to buying any quality tamper and distribution tool sold separately. It also weighs only 17.04 oz., which is also very light compared to the weight of all the distribution tools on the market.
To tamp, you can press on top, or if your worried about dirty hands it can also be tamped by gripping the sides of collar and tamping down.

ebola5114

#13: Post by ebola5114 »

I agree with both, at first we must not have dirty hand at all.
Beautiful tool indeed !

Randy G.

#14: Post by Randy G. »

This is one more example of tamping to a depth instead of to a force. I refrain from giving my full opinion/explanation of that again. But no one here has said, "Tamp to 8 millimeters for consistency."
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

leozava (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by leozava (original poster) replying to Randy G. »

not sure I see a difference. I weight every dose (acaia lunar), use a super consistent grinder (modified versalab) and use a precision basket (vst)

with that much consistency, depth and force should be pretty consistent

mauijer

#16: Post by mauijer »

Randy G. wrote:This is one more example of tamping to a depth instead of to a force. I refrain from giving my full opinion/explanation of that again. But no one here has said, "Tamp to 8 millimeters for consistency."
I agree. This is what I don't like about most autoleveling tampers. Plus if your changing coffees frequently or change doses then its a lot of back and forth adjusting. I like the look and the ingenuity of this device but Ill stick with my Levtamp which allows me to adapt instantly to any bean or dose.

Jean

#17: Post by Jean »

The solo absolutely adapts instantly to any bean or dose. workflow is improved as well because you don't have to handle two devices. It takes seconds to adjust.

Supporter ♡

#18: Post by leozava (original poster) »

here are some pics. first time using it :

classic versalab volcano

after grooming

after tamping

Possepat

#19: Post by Possepat »

So it's been almost a month, have you noticed any difference in the way the shot pulls and ultimately the taste of the shots?
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

Supporter ♡

#20: Post by leozava (original poster) »

it's a very well built tamper and very easy to use. I still find that a quick finger strike is required to spread out the grinds before the distribution side. my girlfriend loves it because it's fool proof but I prefer the feel of my kafatek tamper. I'll try to post a bottomless extraction video soon