La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
nuketopia

#31: Post by nuketopia »

Signed up. Looking forward to the parade of coffee. I'm hoping that some of them will rise to the occasion and surprise us with special offerings.

wpK

#32: Post by wpK replying to nuketopia »

Please keep us updated. I plan on giving it a shot as well but want to weight until I have a more consistent setup. Although I have been experimenting with different blends I do usually choose to follow he same profile. I like the idea of leaving my comfort zone and finding beans you do not like help you find what you do.

Fausto

#33: Post by Fausto »

So May's coffee is Toby's Estate Bedford Blend
Here goes my rant...It looks like Toby's has 4 coffees intended for espresso
3 of them are blends and one is a Rwandan single origin. It just seems like for the second time LM will not be sending us the most interesting coffee, but instead sending something that is versatile and plays nice with milk. This is the home espresso subscription, not the home latte subscription. Hopefully it will be great, but in my experience there is only so much you can do you with an African/Latin American blend. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I feel like I already know exactly how it's going to taste.

Let's talk money for a minute. I looked all this stuff up thinking I would prove that we were getting a little ripped off, but in fact we're not, hurray! I feel compelled to share my findings anyway:
Toby's sells the Bedford Blend for $15.25 for 12oz. This is the most expensive of the 3 blends, IMO a perfectly reasonable price, the Rwandan is an extra dollar per bag. 2 bags is $30.50, plus shipping from Brooklyn to me would be $43.25. The subscription is $39/mo so I come out ahead there, an east coaster probably would not.
For comparisons sake TW sells the coffee we got in April for the equivalent of $14.91 for 250g, with shipping from Norway it would only be $38.45 - surprisingly equivalent from the consumer side (and definitely fresher because that was coming regular post - FedEx would be an additional $22.25)

I just hope we get some weirder, more interesting, maybe less versatile coffees in the future - but maybe that's not what this is intended for.

nuketopia

#34: Post by nuketopia »

I enjoyed the April coffee a lot, though I get interested in more out there fruitier shots at times, I admit, much of my consumption is morning cappuccino. The TW was super sweet, incredibly so when I made some in an Aeropress.

Don't feel I'm getting ripped off. It isn't cheap, but I don't normally buy espresso based on price so much. My local choices of Ritual, Barefoot, Chromatic, Blue Bottle, High Wire are not cheap either.

Looking forward to the next installment!

michael

#35: Post by michael »

I like the chance to try new coffee and I like the brewing guidelines. even with the monolith, you can go through a lot of coffee at home looking for the right dial in, temp and brewing ratio. if I use one of the mazzers, the 12oz bag can be gone in no time 8)

JavaRanger

#36: Post by JavaRanger »

Same here, price is on par, this is the second month so I am fine with getting a blend for now. In future, maybe we will get some SO's.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by RockyIII »

I just signed up for the subscription. I'm looking forward to comparing my impressions of the beans with what others think.

Rocky