Starting fresh, need advice on Compak K10 WBC - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Spitz.me

#11: Post by Spitz.me »

wachuko wrote:Have you measured the retention accumulated in the Rocket duster? :D

I have one of those, never would have occurred to use it for this. Pretty cool idea <adding a few notes in my coffee notepad) 8)
hahaha

It doesn't suck in as it's designed just to blow air. I used the Rocket to blow the grinds out of the exit chute, by blowing air into the exit chute. It works, yes, but it's incredibly dusty as it sends fines flying through the air. I didn't lose much, but for the two shots I pulled, I think I lost about .2g per dose. I might lose 0.1g using the brush. The blowing coffee is kind of annoying. :lol: When I use the brush I'm pretty @n@l about brushing until I see nothing and I'm used to it.

I find the blower is better used as a finishing tool to blow out the last bit of grinds from the throat on out, but I don't usually do this. What I usually do is use the Rocket to blow out the retained grinds every morning before my first few espressos.
LMWDP #670

Almico

#12: Post by Almico »

Spitz.me wrote:It doesn't suck in as it's designed just to blow air. I used the Rocket to blow the grinds out of the exit chute, by blowing air into the exit chute. It works, yes, but it's incredibly dusty as it sends fines flying through the air.
Maybe my blower is not as aggressive, but I don't get any dust blowing. I'm guessing it helps to have the input path sealed up (closed hopper) so that air is not easily allowed to go anywhere but back out the exit chute again.

I did it again this morning and it worked great. A little more fiddling than with the Sette, but well worth it. I'm getting about .4g less out than in so far and the espresso is heavenly in my Londinium. I think it's going to prove to be a good match.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Bill33525 »

Alan-

Thanks for this tip, I was blowing in the throat and still needed to use a blusher brush to get more grinds out. However after brushing the port using your method a full gram of grinds expelled from the exit port. WOW great idea. The retention should be below measurable amounts using this tip.

Almico

#14: Post by Almico replying to Bill33525 »

Do I get to name the technique? CRT, ABT...?

RyanJE

#15: Post by RyanJE »

Almico wrote:Maybe my blower is not as aggressive, but I don't get any dust blowing. I'm guessing it helps to have the input path sealed up (closed hopper) so that air is not easily allowed to go anywhere but back out the exit chute again.

I did it again this morning and it worked great. A little more fiddling than with the Sette, but well worth it. I'm getting about .4g less out than in so far and the espresso is heavenly in my Londinium. I think it's going to prove to be a good match.

I find with the bump and brush method (no hopper) it's .5 gram lost on first dose then spot on every dose after. This is because I clean the throat (top of burrs) and doser the end of each session. So weigh out plus 0.5 on shot 1 and then good to go.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....