Starting fresh, need advice on Compak K10 WBC

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bossman

#1: Post by Bossman »

Hello,

I am starting fresh after a few years off, I made a couple of posts on Coffeegeek so I don't want to cross post, so I will just ask about the grinder here.

I am buying a lightly used Compak K10 WBC, probably too much grinder for me but really hard to pass up for $450! I have never used a dosered grinder before, previously I have used for espresso a vario, vario-w and a Pro-M Espresso. I would like some advice on how I should use it. I am not a big fan of single dosing, I prefer to put a couple days worth of beans in the hopper. I am not sure I can use this grinder that way since I will primarily just be using it for me, probably making 2-5 doubles a day. I am pairing it with a Mini Vivaldi II if that makes any difference.

How is the retention going to be if I do need to single dose it? I would think with a doser the retention would be pretty high, but that is just a guess. Should I just use it like I am used to and eyeball & then weigh to get the right dose?

I am excited to get such a nice grinder that is supposed to have amazing in the cup results, but to be honest I have not even picked it up yet and I am wondering if I should sell or trade it for something that would be closer to what I am used to. I am for sure going to try it out first however, I just want some feedback on how best to try the grinder.

Thanks in advance!

Ellejaycafe

#2: Post by Ellejaycafe »

I think you should sell it to me for $450 :lol: I'd gladly make your decision easier! Joking aside, that might be the best deal I've seen in a long time if the grinder is in great shape. The k10 is highly regarded around these parts and I doubt you'll find a better grinder, so I'd keep it and be happy! Retention, if you don't single dose, should still be on the lower side. I would definitely weigh your dose, always, everytime. After eyeballing for a while it should get easier to grind your desired dose with minimal waste left in the doser. I don't know what other advice to offer and I would simply do a search to find the answers you need. There's about a million threads on the k10. Congrats on a great set up!
LMWDP #544

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Bill33525 »

I have a 2008 K10 WBC, been using it for a few years. The switch was removed from the exit port when I got it. Use a ladies blusher brush to sweep out the port after the grinder stops. I weigh out 1 additional gram of beans [into the grinder] and usually have a very small amount of grinds left over after weighing the grinds into the portafilter. In other words single dosing with sweeping produces extremely small retention.
The throat of the K10 can hold 20 plus grams of beans with room for a spice bottle on top to hold down pop-corning.
The burrs in a K10 will last a lifetime with home usage. Great bargain @ $450.
Good luck.

Spitz.me

#4: Post by Spitz.me »

$450 is a fantastic price. Modifying it for single-dosing is fairly simple to do. Once you mod it, you'll have to do a little jig every dose, but you'll have essentially zero retention. Great idea not to pass on this offer, it's insane.

Here's a link to a post about the single-dose mod that also links to other threads.

Compak K10 Chute Mods
LMWDP #670

Bossman (original poster)

#5: Post by Bossman (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies! I will look through all the single dosing mod threads and get what I need to make the adjustments. :D

Almico

#6: Post by Almico »

I just picked up a used K10 as well. I paid double what you did and am still thrilled!

I've been using a photography bulb duster to tame the retention:

Spitz.me

#7: Post by Spitz.me »

I've only ever used the Rocket to blow air down the throat. Never thought about pushing the grinds with air as the k10 spins!!

Thanks for this idea. I guess I just figured I'd be throwing the grinds back in at best.

This might solve the brush and pulse routine!
LMWDP #670

Bossman (original poster)

#8: Post by Bossman (original poster) »

Almico wrote:I just picked up a used K10 as well. I paid double what you did and am still thrilled!

I've been using a photography bulb duster to tame the retention:
Very nice! So did you do some of the chute mods?

Almico

#9: Post by Almico replying to Bossman »

Nope. I might polish the doser blades and install some sweeping assistance, but using the bulb on the doser works just as well as it does on the chute.

wachuko

#10: Post by wachuko »

Have you measured the retention accumulated in the Rocket duster? :D

I have one of those, never would have occurred to use it for this. Pretty cool idea <adding a few notes in my coffee notepad) 8)
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654