Which grinder are you using with Olympia Cremina?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
caffe1

#1: Post by caffe1 »

I have a 1983 Olympia Cremina which is a great machine and I have the Monolith flat.
I must say its very challenging to find the correct grind for various coffees.
The best luck I had was when Cerini - coffee supply in the Bronx and seller of Cremina- pregound coffee for my Cremina.

Any tips on grinding my own beans for use with the Cremina will be appreciated.

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon »

I've used my Mahlgut Grist MG-1 with my Cremina (2002 with 2016 group): No issues. Have also used my Feldgrind a couple times satisfactorily with the same Cremina. Haven't used my Flat with it yet.

I wish I could say I was as happy with the steam portion ...
No Espresso = Depresso

grog

#3: Post by grog »

I also pair a Mahlgut MG-1 with my 1974 Cremina. I've been loving the shots for the past year+ of using the grinder. Before that I was using a Pharos and liked that as well.

When you say it's difficult to find the correct grind, do you mean that it goes from choked to gusher (or vice versa) even with tiny adjustments to the grind? Or are you referring to how the shots taste?
LMWDP #514

ds

#4: Post by ds »

I use both Monolith Flat and Conical with my Cremina and love it. I lately prefer Flat taste wise. Can you explain what you mean by difficulty finding correct grind? Are your burrs seasoned, did you run at least 5 pounds of coffee through them?

dominico
Team HB

#5: Post by dominico »

I've used various grinders with my Cremina including a Pharos, Mahlgut, and Monolith Flat. For dialing in I can't say that I've much prefered one over any other, but in the case of the Monolith Flat, since you have one, I've found that it dials in better for the Cremina when I have the motor rpm set to about 400. For the M-Flat shots flow quicker with a lower rpm, so be prepared to dial in everything a bit finer.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

caffe1 (original poster)

#6: Post by caffe1 (original poster) »

Thanks- Dominico- I never played around with the motor speed- mine is at 600 but I will try it at 400 for the Cremina.- Thanks

caffe1 (original poster)

#7: Post by caffe1 (original poster) »

Ds- I have had my Monolith Flat since September & I use it just about everyday so dont think thats the issue. The issue I have is that I wont even be able to pull the Cremina lever if the grind is too fine. Just trying to find the sweet spot on the grinder that is optimal for the Cremina- If i remember correctly- I had to grind around #8 when using the Cremina.

caffe1 (original poster)

#8: Post by caffe1 (original poster) »

Grog- I think at #8 on my Monolith is good for the Cremina but yes the taste between the Cremina and the Rocket R58 r completely different. May thats the real problem- that I am still experimenting with the Cremina- I have had it since August and only use it on the weekends and not every weekend. I have watched many videos on how to properly warm it up and get it ready for use. However, the taste seems lie it could be better. - i am using filtered water and i know that the Cremina is definitely a stronger taste but wish it was as smooth as my Rocket.

I bought the Cremina from ebay and it was in meticulous condition- came with all the accessories. I never changed the gaskets and dont think it needs them bc it doesnt leak.

Can these Creminas be descaled?- maybe thats the issue?

Thanks

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by jwCrema »

caffe1 wrote: Can these Creminas be descaled?- maybe thats the issue?

White vinegar 50/50 is what I last descaled with and it does a great job. You should also pop the shower screen and check the piston face to see it's clean.

The Major grinds very nicely for the Cremina, but there is a narrow difference between good and great in terms of adjustment. But, that's been true for all of my Mazzers.

mjbelcher

#10: Post by mjbelcher »

Monolith Flat as well (alternating between a new Cremina and a LM GS/3).

Maybe it's not an issue exclusive to the Monolith brand.

Despite the particular manufacturer of the gearbox, motor and exterior container; ultimately, the business-end of the Monolith is a set of 75mm burrs which are a de facto industry standard for a flat grinder.

The allure of the "Monolith" version of that burr set for me was its compactness and low retention single dosing.
LMWDP #554