Baratza Sette - Retention - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cmin

#11: Post by cmin »

Headala wrote:I've used mine on a wide variety of portafilters with pretty easy in/out.
My adjustment flow is:
loosen top retaining arm hex screw,
adjust rubber portafilter arm covers (more later support or more height or neither),
push down top retaining arm onto portafilter to where it's firm but I can still move it in and out,
tighten hex screw.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence; I'm just hoping there is something in there that helps you.
I'll try that, didn't know that screw adjust it, mines pretty loose and easily flops around. Honestly pry won't use it regardless. With it moved out the way, I just slide the pf in and hold and slide out since it only takes like 5 seconds for the dose. Ridiculously fast grinder lol, and clean as well, no mess at all. Uses to use a funnel for my Vario in my PF. Grinds right into the basket like when I used an HG1, which guess makes sense since burr setup (not size) is similar/how grounds exit.

McPickle

#12: Post by McPickle replying to cmin »

This is off topic from this post but you need to adjust the holding arm for your portafilter using the allen wrench they give you. The process is described in the manual and it's a crucial setup step if you want accurate results.

Advertisement
djdigy

#13: Post by djdigy »

any one tried air blower? i've searched on aliexpress and i think it can be useful. What do you think?

Spitz.me

#14: Post by Spitz.me replying to djdigy »

My rocket blower doesn't do anything when I blow air down the throat as it grinds.
LMWDP #670

coffe4me2

#15: Post by coffe4me2 »

This grinder looks great but a bit cheaply built.
i haven't touched one yet. Is it solid? It's a tempting one.
Jack

Spitz.me

#16: Post by Spitz.me replying to coffe4me2 »

Probably better to have posted that in the mega thread about Sette user feedback. However, you want to know if it's built like a grinder worth 5 times its value? No. It's built like a Vario. It's built to the price point it meets. If you can stand to deal with customer service if you receive a dud or it becomes a dud then you should be fine.

Put another way - I own a Baratza Vario and Sette and I have NEEDED to rely on Baratza support for both grinders while my 6 year old K10 has just purred along over the same period. My experience can be worrying to potential Baratza buyers. My advice is to be prepared to rely on Baratza customer service if you buy a Sette. Also, beware of the Baratza apologists. While my post may sound like I'm smearing Baratza's grinders, I'm not - it's the reality for many.

I put up with the issues because the grinders perform admirably when compared to grinders many times their price.

I don't think anything beats the Sette's in-the-cup results at this price. You can argue that used grinders that are more than capable of producing great shots can be had for similar prices and they are built to commercial standards. You'd be right. You're choice.
LMWDP #670

coffe4me2

#17: Post by coffe4me2 »

Thanks for that. That is just what I expected so I will stay clear. One day they might bring out a small commercial Sette and that might get my $.
Cheers

Advertisement
jimithing

#18: Post by jimithing »

I'm curious how this grinder compares to the vario in terms of retention. Does anyone have both that can comment?

CaptainCowpie

#19: Post by CaptainCowpie »

djdigy wrote:any one tried air blower? i've searched on aliexpress and i think it can be useful. What do you think?
I have used a vacuum every morning on my Super Jolly and it works pretty well. I picked up a brand new Xerox vacuum at a garage sale that was meant for copiers and have had great results. My first coffee only vacuum was a Shark handheld that was suggested years ago on a coffee list.

I don't have my Sette yet (getting one for Easter) so I can't try it, but will once it comes in.

tglodjo

#20: Post by tglodjo »

jimithing wrote:I'm curious how this grinder compares to the vario in terms of retention. Does anyone have both that can comment?
Less, in my experience. There's less retained in the chute so that tapping the side and whatnot results in just a little more. 18g in is essentailly 18g out. Though as some users have reported, the holes in the burr ring hold some grinds, so there is some retention, just not in the same way as the Vario. I've owned both. If retention would be your main reason for switching from Vario to Sette, it's not worth it IMO. I'm happy I switched, but it was for multiple reasons: speed, adjustment mechanism, counter appeal, retention, etc. All together, the Sette was worth the upgrade *for my setup and workflow*.