Recommended first grinder - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

wachuko wrote:.. I just want to test it for myself before I spend the $$ on one or the other. I want to have that "ahhhhhh, this is what I was missing by not having a good grinder" moment...
That's why you get a (used) Pharos (and a clamp if you like lighter roasts). For essentially the cost of shipping you can taste what you are missing (because used Pharos' have pretty much zero depreciation). Then you will feel comfortable spending the money on a grinder suited to all of your needs.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

wachuko (original poster)

#12: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

wpK wrote:I just recently had the same issue as you. I actually ordered the K30 and when the color I wanted wasn't going to be in stock for a few months I did more research and ended up deciding to wait for the Monolith. As someone that has always single dosed the Monolith just seems too perfect to pass up.

I have the Breville Oracle right now while waiting for my Lucca M58 to get delivered and purchased a B-Vario to use until the Monolith is back in stock. I can say there is a huge difference from the built in grinder and the B-Vario. With that said the Oracle also has auto tamping and dosing so it should be expected a better grinder along with more consistent dosing would give better results.

If you're like me your gut is saying the Monolith is the answer and (hopefully) will keep your upgraditis at bay. The Monolitu is sold out and is going to be awhile so you do have some time to convince the wife :)
Looks like you will end up with the same setup that I would like to eventually have... I had been going back and forth between the Lucca M58 and ECM Synchronika (https://clivecoffee.com/2016/11/lucca-m ... nchronika/) but looks like I will go with the Lucca...

I will resist the temptation of buying an interim grinder. That will be wasted money... I went ahead and put my name for the next run of the Monolith 68mm Titan Conical Grinder, but the deposit option was not enabled... I hope that I am not to late for the next run...

https://www.kafatek.com/index.php/store ... r-deposit/
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Advertisement

#13: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:That's why you get a (used) Pharos (and a clamp if you like lighter roasts). For essentially the cost of shipping you can taste what you are missing (because used Pharos' have pretty much zero depreciation). Then you will feel comfortable spending the money on a grinder suited to all of your needs.
Thank you for the feedback. I will just put a deposit (whenever that is available) for the Monolith. Got the automated reply from Denis when I put my email down for the next run...
Thank you so much for subscribing to Monolith news updates list. You will be notified when pre-orders for grinders open up or something new and significant happens. If you are interested about Monolith you are on the right list smiley
Thank you,
Denis
I sent him an email to make sure that I get on the list...

So now I just wait. Will use what I have for now. Thanks again.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#14: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

I am so full of s* :oops: ... I could not resist and placed an order for the Helor 101 with the Contemporary Burrs...

Also got a reply fron Denis. Expected date for pre-order to open is around May for next run. So I did not missed the window. He will send out an email when he is closer to provide better ETA.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

wpK

#15: Post by wpK »

wachuko wrote:I am so full of s* :oops: ... I could not resist and placed an order for the Helor 101 with the Contemporary Burrs...

Also got a reply fron Denis. Tentative May date for next run. So I did not missed the window. He will send out an email when he is closer to provide better ETA.
When I finally decided to go with the Monolith I missed the cut off by 2 days for the last batch :shock:

Ellejaycafe

#16: Post by Ellejaycafe »

baldheadracing wrote:That's why you get a (used) Pharos (and a clamp if you like lighter roasts). For essentially the cost of shipping you can taste what you are missing (because used Pharos' have pretty much zero depreciation). Then you will feel comfortable spending the money on a grinder suited to all of your needs.
This. I got a used Pharos for $160 (which included every new upgrade) and clamp that sucker down. It's not even worth trying to use without clamps IMO. With a few simple clamps I had laying around it's a non issue. Best purchase I've ever made for my home espresso set up. Couldn't imagine spending 2k more based on ease of use alone, flavor matters most to me, but that's just my opinion.
LMWDP #544

#17: Post by wachuko (original poster) replying to Ellejaycafe »

That is the thing that I see with the Pharos... seems rather awkward to use...

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Advertisement
Ellejaycafe

#18: Post by Ellejaycafe »

wachuko wrote:That is the thing that I see with the Pharos... seems rather awkward to use...
I can't argue with that. But it's a $300 grinder brand spanking new for superb grind quality. I will take a little shaking and knocking to save $2,000 bucks. Like I said, that's just me and I was just trying to tell you the grind quality from the Pharos is on par with grinders 10x it's price. As a first grinder, I couldn't recommend it enough. You could probably deal with a little "awkwardness" until you decide to drop money for a monolith.
LMWDP #544

baldheadracing
Team HB

#19: Post by baldheadracing »

Ellejaycafe wrote:This. I got a used Pharos for $160 (which included every new upgrade) and clamp that sucker down. It's not even worth trying to use without clamps IMO. With a few simple clamps I had laying around it's a non issue. Best purchase I've ever made for my home espresso set up. Couldn't imagine spending 2k more based on ease of use alone, flavor matters most to me, but that's just my opinion.
You got yours at the best price that I've ever seen. They seem to be coming in at almost double these days, i.e., more than the v1's new price, which is, well, it is what it is, I guess.

As for spending more, I'll never begrudge anyone. The Pharos offers an unmatched price/in-the-cup performance ratio, but, for example, once I installed the Voodoodaddy catch cup mod - boy, did it increase the ease of use by a huge factor.

Anyhow, the OP has a Helor coming, which won't have the ease-of-dialing-in that a 68mm+ conic offers, but like seemingly every TreSpade-ish 38mm-or-so small conic (hand or powered), can give great results with careful distribution and alignment.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Ellejaycafe

#20: Post by Ellejaycafe replying to baldheadracing »

I'm still amazed by the deal I got on it, especially considering it had the aluminum bolts and new adjustment mechanism. I would have gladly paid full price knowing what the grinder is capable of. I would like to do the voodoo daddy mods but I only use it on weekends.

I guess I missed that the OP had a helor coming, it should be a very capable first grinder indeed! If he ends up not minding the manual grinding, then the Pharos isn't too far off in price. I thought about a helor before finding the Pharos I bought. For me, I was looking for a grinder that wasn't "espresso only." So the manual grinders appealed to me; the Pharos can do it all and so can the helor.
LMWDP #544