Intelligentsia Black Cat - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Jared

#11: Post by Jared »

michael wrote:I picked up my bags on 2 different occasions from the local Whole Foods; fresh (lots of stuff there is way past the roast date) both times and made some reasonably good coffee; used the dosing, time and output from the website;
what temperature did you try, I used 94 C 8)
I ordered directly from Intelligentsia so it was fresh. I tried a range of temperatures from 197 to 203. Oh well...maybe it isn't for me.

shanec

#12: Post by shanec »

I just pulled a great Black Cat Classic espresso this morning. The beans are eight days post roast. I dosed 18.5g in and 38g out in 31 seconds (23.5 seconds from first drip) at 202°F. I was using the standard double basket with the Vetrano 2B. The result was a very sweet and ripe espresso with some really interesting fruit flavors. There was a slight nuttiness, but I didn't get much chocolate flavor. If that is what you are searching for in your espresso, there may be better options or you would need to adjust the brew parameters.

Advertisement
dominico
Team HB

#13: Post by dominico »

I don't get any chocolate out of Black Cat, but I always get a lot of peanuts. On my gear Black Cat is just about the most peanutty espresso I've ever pulled.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Hudson

#14: Post by Hudson »

I had a shot at Intelli when I was in Chicago over the holidays and remember really tasting some dark chocolate near the end of the espresso I had. It was quite a bright shot too, brighter than I would normally have. This was their Black Cat Classic. I'm not sure exactly how they pulled it, but it certainly didn't seem like a ristretto.
LMWDP #534

brianl

#15: Post by brianl replying to Hudson »

Correct, pull it hot and it the 1.5 range. I get the same dark chocolate in my shots from them. I never get much acidity.

sprin001 (original poster)

#16: Post by sprin001 (original poster) »

These recommendations and insights are awesome.
Today - pulled a 6 day old at 200 F, 18.5 g, out = 28g in 26 seconds. Cuts through the milk with alot of chocolatey notes, not as bright as before at the more 1:2 pulls.