Chris Coffee Water Filtration

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
miguels

#1: Post by miguels »

Hello,

I'm tying to find a good water filtration system for my Linea Mini that isn't too expensive (I.e. Optipure RO). Does anyone use this one from Chris' Coffee, or have alternate recommendations?

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Water_Softe ... ftsysg.htm

Thanks!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

Quite a few of us use that CC system. I've got 2 in use, 1 dating back to 2008. It's a good kit at a good price but when you need replacement softener & carbon filters shop around on line. I set up a basic crossover system on each filter set to add back hard water between the softener & carbon filter so I can control the hardness of the water. I like to keep it around 40ppm.
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
Lacoffee

#3: Post by Lacoffee »

bwt bestmax premium S or V (flow/hardness dependent) at WWL. Great filter. but of course it all depends on how hard your water is. I had to move to an RO AND the Bestmax because of the awful LADWP/CO river water. And to keep things interesting, they shift water sources through the year. So you have to keep monitoring the output.
Andrew

shanec

#4: Post by shanec »

JohnB. wrote:Quite a few of us use that CC system. I've got 2 in use, 1 dating back to 2008. It's a good kit at a good price but when you need replacement softener & carbon filters shop around on line. I set up a basic crossover system on each filter set to add back hard water between the softener & carbon filter so I can control the hardness of the water. I like to keep it around 40ppm.
How does that crossover system work? I am about to install the CCS softener and filtration system this weekend and I am worried my water may become too soft. I am starting under 80 PPM (don't know for sure with the strips I am using), so I am hoping taste doesn't change too much from the Nestle water I have been using.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

You just tee into the hard water line feeding the softener cartridge & add a loop off the tee that comes back into a three way fitting between the softener & carbon filters. Mid way on the loop you add either a JG shut off or a manual mixing valve to control the amount of hard water you are adding back in. If you don't want to see scale build up in the boiler/s you shouldn't let the hardness get over 50ppm. I test monthly & adjust the crossover accordingly as the softener cartridges weaken gradually.
LMWDP 267

shanec

#6: Post by shanec replying to JohnB. »

The mixing valve is a good idea. I was wondering if you just mixed 50/50 or had a way to control the blend.

Out of curiosity, what do you use to test water hardness? I am using some cheap strip tests I bought on Amazon, but color matching on strips doesn't feel accurate enough for me.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

LMWDP 267

Advertisement
spressomon

#8: Post by spressomon »

miguels wrote:Hello,

I'm tying to find a good water filtration system for my Linea Mini that isn't too expensive (I.e. Optipure RO). Does anyone use this one from Chris' Coffee, or have alternate recommendations?

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Water_Softe ... ftsysg.htm

Thanks!
Unabashedly: [SOLD] Water Softening & Filtration System

Not sure why it automagically got labeled as "sold"...as this kit is still available for sale.
No Espresso = Depresso

seakuv

#9: Post by seakuv »

Very similar to the above mentioned Hach 5b kit, I use one from Mavea - https://www.chriscoffee.com/Mavea_Carbo ... 710801.htm

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. replying to seakuv »

It's a bit different. The Hach kit also has a powder that's added to the water, then you add the liquid one drop at a time until you get the color change.
LMWDP 267