Good knockbox - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
sluflyer06

#21: Post by sluflyer06 »

ash4889 wrote:I have a very good quality knockbox that came with my espresso machine, but since I only do one or two cups daily I just use a simple silicone spoon rest. I don't have to worry about damaging my portafilter or countertops when using it, the cleanup is extremely easy can I put everything away in a few seconds.
How is hitting your portafilter against a spoonrest, any different than against a very padded silicone or rubber knockbox bar? Also a spoonrest has less between the counter and the portafilter vs a box.

ash4889

#22: Post by ash4889 »

It's just less real estate on my countertop, and a rapid cleanup works for me.

Advertisement
amagad

#23: Post by amagad »

the cafelat large tubbi finally came, worth the wait.

Thermosiphon

#24: Post by Thermosiphon »

I use an Osaka knock box, which is both cheap ($19.99) and effective. the rubber bar is removed easily for cleaning or replacement. It is only 5 inches in diameter though...not that it's messy or that grinds fly everywhere, but if you are pulling more than a few shots per day you might go with a larger size.

https://www.amazon.com/Osaka-Shock-Abso ... B01M22L7OC

For me, I always try to save money on any accessory that isnt going to seriously impact my espresso or my workflow. And i think gong for a cheap knockbox worked out fine for me. Best of luck!
Cheers,
Bill

curmudgeon

#25: Post by curmudgeon »

I haven't yet seen anyone mention what - to me - is one of the more important perks of a knockbox:

Lack of hot coffee grinds in the garbage can!

A few pucks or a chemex filter full of hot, steaming coffee has a way of heating up your trash can and making some not-so-nice smells, not to mention leaving behind lots of condensation and a place for mold to grow (depending on how often you empty the trash).

My low cost solution was to drill a few holes in an old cigar box that I had sitting around, and insert a wooden dowel that I covered in some vinyl hose. (Bonus points for matching my wife's 'country chic' themed decor.) Now I empty all hot coffee grounds into my knockbox and empty that into the trash once everything has cooled sufficiently. I can hold probably 15 pucks or three large chemex filters before I need to empty it.

amagad

#26: Post by amagad »

Thats true, ive had mold grow between spent pucks in a knock box too in just 5 days. So a larger box doesnt necessarily mean you can keep pucks around longer, youd still have to dump them in larger trash can or outside bin.