Matt Perger's technique with the Hario V60? - Page 4

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
leon

#31: Post by leon »

I scaled this up to 23g/350ml this morning with a Kenyan from Tim Wendelboe. I figured I'd better use a slightly coarser grind than Mr. Perger. I did not use a timer so can't tell you overall time, but it was definitely over 3 minutes. The final pour almost came to the top of my V60-02.

Rao spin achieved.

Final cup....pretty darned good...but I seem to have lost some of the brightness that popped out of this coffee with previous cups I've made, and there's a dryness in the finish I don't really care for. I'm thinking that my grind could still be a little coarser.

jesse

#32: Post by jesse »

I've been brewing 7 oz cups of coffee forever but lately would prefer 12 ounce cups. Guess I'm going to try up-scaling Perger's prep.

Advertisement
shawndo

#33: Post by shawndo »

This is going to take more time for me. I'm still new to pourover and am not consistent. I can't make 3 cups in a row flow,measure,taste the same.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm pouring too quickly. Searches show that other people usually add a restrictor to the bonavita variable temp. I'll trying controlling the pour myself until then, but we'll see.

I never understood the need for those before until my coffee beds started resembling the grand canyon!

PS, Just saw there was a huge price drop on the Hario variable temp kettle (imported from japan) on Amazon. I'm going to give that a shot!
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

baldheadracing
Team HB

#34: Post by baldheadracing »

My best slow-pour kettle is my Monarch Methods, but coming in a close second is the very reasonably priced Orphan Espresso pouring pitcher. It isn't the prettiest, but it is very easy to get a slow poor with - essentially, kettles that you hold (like the OE and the Monarch) are easier to master control with than kettles that use a handle.

One tip to controlling a kettle (with a handle) is to grasp the wrist of the hand that holds the kettle with your other hand.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

erik82

#35: Post by erik82 »

I'm using the Kalita kettle and it's very easy in controlling flow. I can easily go from a few drips to a full stream which was nearly impossible on the Hario kettle I owned before. The Hario kettle only goes from too fast to way too fast.

Matt Perger's method gave me very good results with a couple of different coffees using my Lido2 with Italmill burrs. I can grind pretty fine and achieve a 2:20min total time (12gr in and 220gr out). The results are very different then my standad method using 21gr in and 320gr out in 3:00min total using a much coarser grind. I like both methods and it really depends on my mood which I use. I use pretty light roasts but not extreme light roasts.

leon

#36: Post by leon »

Tim Wendelboe's recent V60 video is sort of a scaled up version of Perger's method.

dfinn

#37: Post by dfinn »

What drip brewer is he using in that video?

Advertisement
SpecC

#38: Post by SpecC »

leon wrote:Tim Wendelboe's recent V60 video is sort of a scaled up version of Perger's method.
Good post. I need a 500ml brew guide :)