Matt Perger's technique with the Hario V60? - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Javier

#21: Post by Javier »

In Matt Perger's video, is he using a V60-01? Or is he using a V60-02? I would not mind buying one just to brew the exact same recipe as in that video.
LMWDP #115

JmanEspresso

#22: Post by JmanEspresso »

I personally think he is using the 01, due to how 12grams of coffee looks in the filter. When I do this method in my 02, 12 grams looks like a lot less coffee then in his video.

But, Ive done this method successfully in the 02. Not changing anything, just using the 02.

The resulting cup is quite delicious, my sole complaint is the size of the resulting cup. Id like more coffee in one cup. Very small complaint, I can just make a second one.

borisblank

#23: Post by borisblank »

Something noted and explored a bit on a similar thread last year:

Help with nuanced cup out of Hario V60 brews.

If you look carefully, Perger's grounds are super-tight in that video. Much finer than what I'm typically used to for pour-over. In fact, it's hard for me to truly replicate his recipe when grinding and sieving as he does - my drawdown times are much longer than his when estimating similar grind level. Could be those particular beans of his, or something else, but it's worth bringing up again here.

aecletec

#24: Post by aecletec »

Yep he has commented in the past he uses super light roasted beans.
Trying to replicate the technique or recipe with another roast is asking for trouble.
Whenever I see the spin or articles on these things you don't see "and we replicated these results with x different roast styles".

treq10

#25: Post by treq10 »

This technique only shines when using super uniform grinds distribution - in his case Ek43 + sifting.

It works only okay if you're using other grinders.

There are other methods to brew good coffee, especially for larger cups. If you have a refractometer, you can dial in your brew based on what kind of beans you have (and formulas can go out the window :p)

If not, try to use the typical 18:1 3-3:30 min extraction method using coarser grinds. A 2:20 extraction is great when you're using a very fine grind like Matt is using. For many of us, getting uniform grinds without fines isn't something that's very feasible without an EK43. So it's better to take the safer route and use a longer extraction with coarser grinds. In the end what you want is ~20% extraction and 1.4-1.8% TDS. Given that your beans are properly developed you should be able to hit juicy, delicious coffee more consistently this way.

bourneagain

#26: Post by bourneagain »

Goldensncoffee wrote:So I picked up a V60-01 to try out what he does in that video. If you haven't seen it its this:

200ml water
12g coffee
Pour 50g bloom and stir
@:30 pour 50g
@1:00 pour 100g.
Total time 2:20
did this using bodum bistro grinder with setting 1 notch below drip (No6). this is the closes i get to 2:20. The V60 drains at 2:10 and kinda goes past 2:20 once you account for last 'drips'. but no doubt the cup was amazing and not like one ive had before. i want to make this my go to BUT

How can you adjust this to make 2 or 4 cups pls?

gophish

#27: Post by gophish »

shawndo wrote:i haven't scaled up successfully yet. I'm still reeling over the 12g->200g recipe.
i plan on figuring this out after i finish this geisha order and have something more affordable to experiment with. I plan on ignoring time and just concentrate on maintaining the same extraction yield with the larger dose. once i settle on the right grind size to maintain the same EY, that will determine the new brew time. Ill report back if I see a trend. I suspect you need to increase both the grind size and time as you scale up based on other recipes i've seen.
Hey Shawn,

Have you had a chance to dig into this further? I'm interested to hear what you found on scaling Perger's technique up.
Versalab

MikFlores300

#28: Post by MikFlores300 »

I like this recipe. All I can say is with this and another recipe I use, the faster more aggresive pour speed makes a difference to me than slower drippy pulse pours.

shawndo

#29: Post by shawndo »

gophish wrote:Hey Shawn,

Have you had a chance to dig into this further? I'm interested to hear what you found on scaling Perger's technique up.
I've only just received a kilo of "affordable" beans from cat/cloud to experiment with and just dialed in both my v60-01 and kalita 155 as of last night.
The scale-up experiments will finally be going on over the next week for the v60-02 (I dont have a kalita 185)
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

CorvusDoug

#30: Post by CorvusDoug »

For everyone getting wrapped up in the total brew time/drip time: Don't worry about it. The once you stop pouring the water, it's up to gravity and a bunch of other things you can't exactly control. We use the exact same V60 recipe--18g/336mL--for all of our coffees and just adjust the grind to taste. Sometimes it takes 2:30 for a coffee to drip, and other times it takes 4:30, but we always finish pouring at 1:35. I also suspect that the quick 2:20 total time is more due to the size of Perger's recipe than anything technique or grinder related.

For those of you who want to scale the recipe up - again, don't get too wrapped up in the total time. It's going to take you longer to pour out more water and for it to drip down through more coffee. You just might have to grind a bit coarser, but taste it first, you might not have to!
Corvus Coffee Roasters - Denver, CO