Advice for newbie with consistency problem.

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Go Cubs go

#1: Post by Go Cubs go »

Hello my name is Henry I'm am from Chicago. I am new to this hobby, I have been making my own coffee(other than regular drip coffee) at home for about 2 months now. I have a moka pot, a burr grinder, and as freshly roasted coffee I can find usually nothing older than 2 weeks, I try to get good brands here in Chicago like Metropolis. I am having trouble with consistency. I'm not necessarily getting bitter coffee, at least I think, but I'm having trouble with getting the full flavor from the bean. Sometimes I have amazing cups sometimes I have coffee that just takes like normal coffee even when using the same coffee. Any advice would be helpful.

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

Start by weighing your dose and water levels. Stay consistent changing one parameter at a time. Keep a journal of your steps and repeat it when you achieve your desired taste.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

shadow31490

#3: Post by shadow31490 »

The key to making coffee with a moka pot is that you will undergo some trial and error. I would recommend keeping all but one variable the same to see if that helps. For instance, try using the same amount of water and coffee beans every time, but change up the grind of the beans. Making coffee is all about your personal preferences, so play around with it and have fun.

Go Cubs go (original poster)

#4: Post by Go Cubs go (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice. I have sort of been measuring my coffee. I always use the same number of cups for my grinder pour the whole amount into the little cup thing and then I level the cup thing off. I've never measured the water, I will try that.

HotSweetCoffee

#5: Post by HotSweetCoffee »

I am trying to regulate my water levels and temperatures? I am using a copper kettle. Any suggestions?