Ecuador Taza Dorada Robusta

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
RobertL

#1: Post by RobertL »

Has anyone tried this specialty robusta from Paradise Roasters? Cupping notes state "Grape and kiwi candy, caramel, jasmine, and banana; a very creamy, chardonnay-like mouthfeel". Definitely not your typical robusta. I'm curious if it has the same caffeine levels as regular robusta.

https://paradiseroasters.com/collection ... ty-robusta

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

I just ordered another Robusta from Paradise. I didn't notice that one...too bad. I like the change at times.
Scott
LMWDP #248

redbone

#3: Post by redbone »

I thought Robusta was a bad word around these parts :P

I find Robusta effects me differently in a negative way vs Arabica. Sensitivity to it I guess.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner replying to redbone »

Probably the higher caffeine content. I suspect that we will begin to see more quality robustas in the coming years.
Scott
LMWDP #248

EddyQ

#5: Post by EddyQ »

I've been pulling shots with this coffee for about a week now. It is quite different. The smell, very weak citrus and no bitterness. I cannot say there are banana flavors, but there is quite a bit of sweetness. Overall, I do want another. So if you want something different, I would recommend.
LMWDP #671

EddyQ

#6: Post by EddyQ »

Santa got me a bottomless PF and some new cups. Wow! Look at the crema from this Robusta.
LMWDP #671

mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mdmvrockford »

I just brewed this robusta today for the first time. Also this is 2nd 100% robusta that I have bought from Paradise Roasters (first one name I forgot but it was at least 2 years ago). I bought this for curiosity and for change of pace from usual all arabica bean. I am fully aware of robusta "deficiencies" but Mr. Mesa's explanation fo this bean was worth a trial.

My review has big disclaimer: I think beans went stale despite keeping at -20F (roasted 11/29/2016 and received 3 days later and immediate frozen and valve taped over and thawed today).

Brew parameters & equipment (did three brews) :
machine: 198F brew (PID), E61 grouphead, vibratory pump
grinder: Super Jolly set much finer than usual
basket 21 gram VST
ground bean 26.8 gram (yes that's not a typo?!)
drink 38.8 gram
drink volume after crema almost gone 2 fl oz

My novice level review:
voluminous crema as with prior 100% robusta
thin body, essentially zero acidity
one dimensional flavor --> wood but not oak (I can't describe more due to my lack of tasting vocabulary); NOT unpleasant but not my preference either.

To give it a more fair trial I was going to reorder but it is no longer listed on Paradise Roasters website and they are closed on Saturdays (I tried calling).
My "if stuck on a desert island and can only pick one espresso" is Paradise Roasters Classico.
LMWDP #568

aecletec

#8: Post by aecletec »

I find even one month in a regular freezer is hitting the limit for "fresh"... that's in jars and not valve bags - I don't think the snap lock is a particularly good seal.
Have you tried grinding whilst frozen?

mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mdmvrockford replying to aecletec »

The bag was kept frozen (-20F) with bag in original seal (did not cut open yet) and valve taped over. -20F is about coldest I can get freezer w/o freezing plain water in the refrigerator. I wanted to get dedicated freezer only but overruled by Boss. Also I did not want to spend money for something like SubZero appliance that supposedly has separate compressors for freezer and refrigerator.

I have done the -20F freezing and not cut open bag and tape over valve for many other roasted arabica beans with good success even at two months. And this includes Paradise Roasters Classico. Of course, quality degrades as longer kept (I have brewed <7 days post roast vs. 2 months post roast thawed from freeze Paradise Roasters Classico and the former is better. But I am surprised how good the 2 months post roast is.

Obviously, for the OP robusta, this does not appear to be the case. I can only guess this particular robusta (or maybe all) degrade quicker/more vs. arabica? Perhaps expert HB members and/or TeamHB moderators can comment.

I never grind frozen but thawed at least 12 hours. I recall reading some do and some don't.
LMWDP #568

aecletec

#10: Post by aecletec »

Impressive results! I think my freezer isn't close to that temp :(
Yeah, grinding frozen/thawed seems to be an individual preference.