Causes of sudden increase in channeling

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
edschlukebir

#1: Post by edschlukebir »

I have an original brewtus, and baratza vario grinder. I have noticed with the last couple of batches of coffee (roasted on behmor), that I suddenly have a large increase in spritzer in my shots.
I haven't changed anything recently, I thought maybe I hadn't let the beans rest enough, but it's 5 days out and still pretty bad. What could be causing this?

Thabks

dominico
Team HB

#2: Post by dominico »

Are some of your basket holes clogged?

Did your change your Vario's grind setting to drip then back to espresso by any chance? My Vario was prone to getting out of whack when I did that and wild spritzing for seemingly no reason was one clue.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Advertisement
edschlukebir (original poster)

#3: Post by edschlukebir (original poster) »

what do you mean by "out of whack"? I have had a few times recently where I tried adjust grind size using the micro lever, and it tightened all the way to choking the machine. It has been working ok since then though.

dominico
Team HB

#4: Post by dominico »

For me the motor noise would change and there would be more spraying of the grounds.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

edschlukebir (original poster)

#5: Post by edschlukebir (original poster) »

I took the grinder apart and cleaned it up. Then tightened the grind up a little, and it seems to be working better. Not sure what was going on.

thanks for the help

Beaniac

#6: Post by Beaniac »

Is your shower screen clean? It can cause serious channeling of an area is clogged, same like the basket like dominico mentioned.