Trouble Making Microfoam...

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
kingdarb

#1: Post by kingdarb »

I am looking for some advice with making microfoam. I have a magister stella machine. When I try to make microfoam, I end up doubling or tripling the volume of the milk by the time it hits maximum temperature (I am using a thermometer), and I get a layer of foam on top of a bunch of hot milk. Are there any decent guides out there for doing this?

Thanks in advance

kingdarb (original poster)

#3: Post by kingdarb (original poster) »

Great thanks!

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

There's also lots of videos; I searched "steaming milk video" since that's a more common phrase than microfoam. It yielded some good results like How to Steam Milk for Cappuccinos and Lattes and Learning latte art with steamed soapy water. There's also national barista champ Lem Butler's instruction that was part of the Newbie Introduction to Espresso video series:
Returning to your opening description, you're clearly stretching the milk too much (i.e., injecting too much air). Simply bury the steam wand into the milk sooner and focus on rolling it. That will assure a more consistent mixture and avoid overstretching. It will also help to use a larger volume of milk. Some beginners make the mistake of economizing on milk by steaming tiny quantities in small pitchers. While that can be done by a skilled barista, it's much easier, for example, to steam 9 ounces of milk in a 20 ounce pitcher than 5 ounces in a 12 ounce pitcher.

If you're still stuck after watching a few videos and reading up, post a video of your routine. As Lem mentions in the video above, it's not hard to diagnose the problem by sound alone.
Dan Kehn