Reshaping milk pitcher

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
damy90sr

#1: Post by damy90sr »

hello, I had a question to ask yourself, have you ever tried to reshaping your milk jug ( pitcher) ? if you can explain how to do? Thank you :D

FirstBetta

#2: Post by FirstBetta »

Without some major machinery, it would be a tough job. It also requires some practiced skill to do it effectively. The milk pitchers are made by a process called metal spinning by which a flat blank of material is placed in a machine resembling a wood lathe. The operator uses a handheld tool similar to a wood lathe tool except it isn't sharp, rather it is rounded. A force it then applied with the tool against the material to cause it to bend up to the required shape while spinning. The spout may be formed before or after the primary shaping.

Your first problem would be how to hold the pitcher. Some kind of jig/holder would be required since the force to shape the pitcher is not a light force.

Minor adjustments of small fractions of an inch/mm could be done using hand-held tools similar to metalsmiths tools. But it would be tedious and require some skill to do w/o ruining the pitcher totally.

damy90sr (original poster)

#3: Post by damy90sr (original poster) »

because I felt that reshape the tip of the pitcher with the use of forceps to increase or decrease the flow of milk you know something about how to do?

for example if you want to decrease the flow of my pitcher as I should model the tip of my pitcher?

chipman

#4: Post by chipman »

Aren't there easier ways of increasing or decreasing the flow of milk without reinventing the wheel, er, I mean pitcher?

FirstBetta

#5: Post by FirstBetta »

Danny

What are you trying to accomplish? Modifying the flow of milk into the cup can be simply be controlled by the angle of the pitcher.

damy90sr (original poster)

#6: Post by damy90sr (original poster) »

some people reshape the tip of the pitcher to facilitate the movement of the rosette

Sideshow

#7: Post by Sideshow replying to damy90sr »

I'm still not quite sure why you can't achieve the same result by controlling your pour speed, controlling the pour height, and controlling the angle of the cup. This way doesn't require any metalwork.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

An oxy acetylene torch or MAP gas torch. Heat the spout red hot then use a steel punch as a die and a bit of muscle or small hammer and draw it out.
Dave Stephens