Help dial-in grind & extraction - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Mrboots2u

#31: Post by Mrboots2u »

cartnj wrote:Just checked again and I went from grind setting 25 to setting 23 and flow started at 12 seconds as opposed to 14 with the 25 setting. Shot tasted slightly better as well.

I don't see any channeling in the puck but wouldn't the flow start later if going finer?

Do you have this same machine?
Where are you looking for channeling , with a naked pf as the extraction occurs or after the shot has done and looking at the puck after the OPV has hit. If the later , thus is telling you little about channeling ( IMHO )

canuckcoffeeguy

#32: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

HoyaZot wrote:OK, I got impatient. I pulled one double-shot with the new Blue Bottle beans. Here are the results; I'm going to hold off on everything until I get some feedback from you guys. Thanks again for all the help! :mrgreen:
  • Blue Bottle Hayes Valley - Roasted Sept. 11 and rested since Sept. 13
  • Blue Bottle sent a card recommending: Dose - 20g, boiler 201.5F, extraction 32s, yield 20-20.5g
first extraction results:
  • Dose (automatic) 23g
  • Extraction time 32s total, including 7 seconds pre-infusion at 60% pressure
  • Yield - 46.5g (I stopped the extraction sooner than blue bottle suggested because this yielded close to 60mls)
It's not the worst thing I've ever tasted, but i would not describe it as "good" either. For those who are familiar with the Breville I used a grind setting of 24.

Finer grind?
Can you post another video? Also can you describe how it tastes in more detail? What didn't you like?

Advertisement
CorvusDoug

#33: Post by CorvusDoug »

HoyaZot wrote:
  • Dose (automatic) 23g
  • Extraction time 32s total, including 7 seconds pre-infusion at 60% pressure
  • Yield - 46.5g (I stopped the extraction sooner than blue bottle suggested because this yielded close to 60mls)
It's not the worst thing I've ever tasted, but i would not describe it as "good" either. For those who are familiar with the Breville I used a grind setting of 24.

Finer grind?
I would actually coarsen it up slightly and try to get more yield out (from that dose). Also - be suspicious of shots that take much longer than 30 seconds. They're not automatically bad, just maybe could be better.
Corvus Coffee Roasters - Denver, CO