Yang Chia 100N Roaster - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mikemaddux

#21: Post by mikemaddux »

hankua wrote:No problem adding a thermocouple, fits in the threaded port where the thermometer sits. Of course it makes sense to data-log the roaster unless one is knocking out a bunch of samples; then the stock setup would be fine. Or a good digital thermometer.

Good to know but I was meaning to ask whether a user could add a thermocouple for environmental temperature in addition to the one for bean temperature.
hankua wrote:Yes the price is very reasonable on the one hand; what about the small charge size and rudimentary controls?
For me the charge size could be a plus because I'm a solo coffee drinker and don't consume it very fast, plus I enjoy roasting and like to do it often.

However I am concerned about what you mean by "rudimentary controls." Does the user not have direct control over heat source and moving air on the 100N?

Thanks for all the pictures!

hankua
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by hankua »

mikemaddux wrote:Good to know but I was meaning to ask whether a user could add a thermocouple for environmental temperature in addition to the one for bean temperature.
However I am concerned about what you mean by "rudimentary controls." Does the user not have direct control over heat source and moving air on the 100N?

Thanks for all the pictures!
Don't think an ET is possible offhand, but maybe there's a way? The gas valve is similar to what would be on a small portable LP gas stove. The Huky optional stove has been modified with a needle valve and pressure gauge; it still retains the original dial knob. The 100n is not a miniature Huky, its more like a simplified professional barrel roaster.

One guess on the design or target market would be a home roaster not interested in profiling; just knock out a few small batches once a week. That's probably why it only has a dial thermometer.

avid

#23: Post by avid »

mikemaddux wrote: However I am concerned about what you mean by "rudimentary controls." Does the user not have direct control over heat source and moving air on the
Why couldn't one use a Variac or Router speed controller like Huky roasters? Then add better gas controls and you have a mini highly controllable drum roaster.

backdrifter
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by backdrifter »

Does anyone know anything about this roaster, or how one would go about purchasing one? It appears to be exactly what I'm looking for.

As seen in this article:

https://coffeeroastingbusiness.wordpres ... under-1kg/

Thanks in advance!

...merged with thread on same subject by moderator...

BarryR

#25: Post by BarryR »

No idea about this roaster but, are you sure the 120gm capacity is fine by you?

backdrifter
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by backdrifter »

Thanks to the mods for merging this with the old thread. I had found this thread, but didn't know how to bring it back from the dead since it was locked.

BarryR - yes, I believe I would be fine with the charge size, though I am also considering their larger 200N. I have been roasting with my Behmor for about a year and a half now, and I rarely go above 200g batch sizes. I enjoy "the hunt" of trying to perfect a roast, so I like roasting multiple small batches at a time and comparing them.

I did a bit more research, and thought I would update the thread and answer my own questions in case anyone else has interest:

- I tried reaching out to Yang Chia via their website with no luck - the "contact us" form wouldn't submit for some reason.
- I found that a company that I've heard of, Bella Taiwan, sells the Yang Chia product, so I shot them an email.
- I received a response within hours from Jet Huang, sales manager for Bella Taiwan with the following questions/issues:
- Jet asked if I had dealt with a Taiwanese supplier in the past, and asked for their contact info for a reference if so. I replied that I have not.
- Jet noted that their minimum order QTY for the 100N is (10) units. I'm checking on the 200N, but assuming it's the same.
- Jet noted that the unit does not carry CE/UL certifications, and asked if that would be a problem for me.

I have responded, and requested pricing. Honestly, assuming the (10) unit order quantity cannot be waived, I'm likely out. But I still want to see what both the 100N and 200N units cost. Who knows, if it's reasonable, maybe I'll lead the charge on one of those "group orders" that I always see on internet forums.

I'll post another update when/if I get pricing. Thanks for reading!

backdrifter
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by backdrifter »

Oops, I just replied, and then noticed that I received a few PM's with more info. It appears that a group buy might already be in the works via another site.

Jaybenf

#28: Post by Jaybenf »

Wondering if anyone has been using this roaster for any length of time and what their experience was? Also has anyone bought directly through Yang Chai Machine Works website?
Reached out via their website and have been emailing back and forth. Was ready to place my order and they just asked me to wire the money right over and let them know and they'd ship. No PayPal, no nothing. Just wondering if anyone has done this and actually received a roaster. Not trying to get donate $1000 to Yang Chai and not receive a roaster.

backdrifter
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by backdrifter »

Sounds like they've changed their purchasing policies. Per my post above, when I wrote to them in March, they said they had a minimum order quantity of 10 units. They had also quoted $680 for the unit at that time (when ordering 10pieces).