Suddenly espresso shots gushing after 3 seconds no matter grind setting - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
thecoffeefield

#31: Post by thecoffeefield »

jonah wrote:Finally, I can confirm that this is a 100% grinder issue! I got some pre-grinded coffee from the store today and pulled some close to perfect shots :D
Thank you all for your great support and comments! Now begins the "fun" journey of warranty discussions and refunds - again :twisted:
Hopefully I can get a refund on the Vario grinder, since the service team obviously didn't do a good job on the grinder in the first place, and then get a decent one instead (maybe a Mazzer Super Jolly of some model). Again, thank you!
I recommend the Super Jolly Electronic doserless. It took my shots to a different level.

h3yn0w

#32: Post by h3yn0w »

pmark wrote:I just registered to say that I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my Vario. No matter the setting I'm unable to choke my machine. I tested with another grinder and could easily choke it.

My Vario is only used for espresso, around 5-10 shoots a week, just for myself and it's less than 2 years old.
I checked my burrs and couldn't find any sign of wear. I sent it to repair some months ago and all they did was changing a motor sleeve which didn't solve the issue. Now I'm considering buying a new grinder exclusive for espresso.

Do you believe this problem could be solved with a new pair of burrs or is it something more complicated? Another thing I could do would be buying the steel burrs and use it for filter but I'm afraid it's a deeper problem and the grind could be inconsistent for filter too. Any ideas?
Have you tried recalibrating the burrs? There is a tool which allows you to adjust the burrs and increase the max fineness. This should be all that is required.

Advertisement
pmark

#33: Post by pmark »

I did and the burrs are already touching themselves I can get to the point that the motor starts to change it's noise and still the espresso continues pouring in 3 seconds. I checked the burrs and they look like new to me, no signs of wear.

clyq

#34: Post by clyq »

The vario can grind very very fine, especially with the ceramic burrs. It's not the best for consistency but it definitely will keep you from gushing. You should take it apart completely, clean it, and reassemble it. It's a very user friendly grinder; you can figure it all out on your own. People who have had your problem found that the 2mm hex screw bent the part that moves the burrs up/down. Either way, just give the whole machine a check.

h3yn0w

#35: Post by h3yn0w »

pmark wrote:I did and the burrs are already touching themselves I can get to the point that the motor starts to change it's noise and still the espresso continues pouring in 3 seconds. I checked the burrs and they look like new to me, no signs of wear.
Calibrating by sound can be difficult. If you have calibrated finer and it's still not fine enough , then go even finer and see if that helps. A Vario should be able to easily choke the machine.

jonah (original poster)

#36: Post by jonah (original poster) »

I received the new grinder last Friday and it grinds to perfection :D happy as a dog.
clyq wrote:People who have had your problem found that the 2mm hex screw bent the part that moves the burrs up/down.
Interesting. Where is this screw to be found? I actually noticed that the levers on the old one dropped a notch quite often when starting the grinder. Maybe that's a sign?

clyq

#37: Post by clyq »

jonah wrote:I received the new grinder last Friday and it grinds to perfection :D happy as a dog.

Interesting. Where is this screw to be found? I actually noticed that the levers on the old one dropped a notch quite often when starting the grinder. Maybe that's a sign?

That screw is next to the chute, but the lever dropping has to do with the Vario needing shims. A quick search for Baratza Vario Shims will bring you where you need to be :D

Advertisement
trapperkeeper

#38: Post by trapperkeeper »

pmark wrote:I did and the burrs are already touching themselves I can get to the point that the motor starts to change it's noise and still the espresso continues pouring in 3 seconds. I checked the burrs and they look like new to me, no signs of wear.

Your burrs are fine. Forget the factory calibration setting for espresso. I have a near new B-Vario and to get the grind fine enough for espresso i have to calibrate it so the burrs start to touch at #5, NOT 2. From here, keep the machine off. Move the coarse lever down to about 2, keeping the fine adjustment in the middle. If you think this is putting a lot of pressure on the burrs, IT IS... there is a lot of flex in the housing and you have to preload the burrs a lot for a fine grind. If it's not fine enough, preload more! until it works. Try this. Don't run the machine a long time with no coffee in there - the burrs will heat quickly. This is the only way. The motor will seem like it is doing a lot of work - IT IS. Eventually, you will figure out the vario isn't great for espresso and get something with a metal housing and more powerful motor. cheers
LMWDP #600