Orphan Espresso's 3-4-5 travel pouring pitcher - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
trunkz22

#11: Post by trunkz22 »

So you brew the pour over in the pitcher and then pour it out afterwards?

Unrooted

#12: Post by Unrooted replying to trunkz22 »

no, it's used in place of a gooseneck kettle.

trunkz22

#13: Post by trunkz22 »

Anybody have a video of this bad boy in action? I just can't imagine it.

Unrooted

#14: Post by Unrooted replying to trunkz22 »

baldheadracing
Team HB

#15: Post by baldheadracing »

So ... my usage impressions:

- This is perhaps stating the obvious - but the 3-4-5 is a pitcher, not a kettle. The typical pitchers that I know of are plastic or glass - Sweet Maria's sells this one - and can serve double duty as pouring vessel or a brewing vessel. The 3-4-5 can't really be used as a brewing vessel; it is a pouring vessel.
- Like all(?) pitchers with no lid, temps decline with time. You're going to want to either: use a technique that gives a shorter pouring time, for example, a 2:30 infusion method pour vs. a 4:00 permeation method pour; or keep the volume of water in the pitcher low, and top-up. I generally filled the pitcher half-way (or so) with boiling water, poured for the bloom, and then dumped and re-filled the 3-4-5 with boiling water while the coffee bloomed.
- Another reason to keep the pouring time short is the holding surface will get hot with time, just like like other designs that have your hand holding the body directly. While noticeable, I never found this to be an issue.
- I found that the 3-4-5 seems to work best with techniques that keep the spout close to the slurry bed and use continuous pours (both pulsed and not pulsed). These are typically methods for Kalita Wave.
- I couldn't get (and didn't expect to get) the 3-4-5 to do slow Japanese Kissaten-style drips and pours, like the KONO Meimon method, or Nel drip.
- Between those two extremes, the 3-4-5 worked just fine, given the limitations of declining temperatures. The 3-4-5 won't replace my goosenecks, but will be great for travelling,
- I would have liked dimples in the Silicone, or some other marking on the interior of the pitcher, to show volume measurements - say, every 50 ml.
- I too noticed the white 'dust' forming on the silicone. Not sure what it is - and Google searching showed Silicone bakeware and ice cube moulds suffered similarly, but results were inconclusive as to what it was ... scale (Calcium) or filler 'bleeding.'
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

ira
Team HB

#16: Post by ira »

I believe the white is scale, it goes away almost instantly if you put a bit of white vinegar in the pitcher.

Ira

Jofari

#17: Post by Jofari »

baldheadracing wrote: - I couldn't get (and didn't expect to get) the 3-4-5 to do slow Japanese Kissaten-style drips and pours, like the KONO Meimon method, or Nel drip.
- Between those two extremes, the 3-4-5 worked just fine, given the limitations of declining temperatures. The 3-4-5 won't replace my goosenecks, but will be great for travelling,
- I would have liked dimples in the Silicone, or some other marking on the interior of the pitcher, to show volume measurements - say, every 50 ml.
+1

I just got mine a few days ago and I agree with your assessment. It doesn't compare to my Kalita Wave Kettle, but it's much better than pouring from a wide-mouth kettle. I'm looking forward to traveling with it!

day

#18: Post by day »

Def great for a quick cup at work out of the microwave.
Not sure how you guys aren't getting the heat though...

According to Doug at scaa he was using it for continuous pour, though I suppose the larger size holes would be fairly useless if only used as such.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

baldheadracing
Team HB

#19: Post by baldheadracing »

day wrote:Def great for a quick cup at work out of the microwave.
Not sure how you guys aren't getting the heat though... <snip>.
Perhaps you are getting more heat because of the time the pitcher spends in the microwave.

If you have big enough hands, then you can rest the upper back edge of the pitcher (which doesn't get hot) on the fold of skin between your thumb and forefinger (the purlicue). I think that's how the pitcher is designed to be held, but my hands aren't the right shape/size to be able to hold it that way.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada