Custom Astoria Fiore 2 group lever machine has finally landed!! - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Ellejaycafe (original poster)

#51: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) »

bm_cricket wrote:Hi! What a wonderful machine you have!

I've got an odd question/request. Could you take measurements of the rear plate (the one that wraps around the back side of your boiler) and attaches to the pieces of metal used to direct hot air/flame from the gas kit?
Bill, I am sorry but I just haven't had the time to do this for you. I didn't forget. The machine is set up in my storage room at work; until I get it moved to its permanent home next weekend it's not feasible to get to the insides easily (it's a small room and it's sitting on a small bench hooked up to a flojet). I haven't even tested the propane on my machine yet! The anticipation is killing me :lol: Before I set it up for a propane test next weekend I will take the back and sides off and get the measurements for you.
LMWDP #544

#52: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) »

After having the machine for a month I feel like I'm finally ready to update this thread with my thoughts. But it's been an incredibly long day so I'll write something up tomorrow to give you guys a full run down on my experience with my first ever commercial lever.

We finally got it up and running on propane tonight and it runs like a dream. Is it too late for a shot??

Almost have the cart all done as well. Have it set up in the garage for testing. Tomorrow we have a group of about 20 coming over so we can see how everything will run in a real world set up. I literally can't wait, feels like Christmas morning!
LMWDP #544

#53: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) »

Been a while since I've updated this thread but I've been hard at work getting it ready for our mobile espresso bar. We had our first event today and the machine worked FLAWLESSLY.

Since the last update I've made a few changes to the machine.

I replaced the two groups that came on the machine with two modern lever groups (the dual spring version sold by Victoria Arduino; 10 bar peak pressure).

I rewired the entire machine and replaced the pressurestat. The previous owner had it wired like a 12 year old.

We plan to run it on propane everywhere we can. This machine runs like a dream on propane. It keeps constant steady pressure, the recovery is way faster than 110V, it gets to pressure twice as fast, and thermal stability is easier to control. We ran the machine at a low .8-.9 bar today because it was 85f out. That gave us nice low preinfusion and shots were tasting beautiful.

I plan on doing a write up on starting a mobile espresso bar for the site. I see post often with people asking how to set one up.... I think a comprehensive guide would be helpful. Would there be interest for that?

Anyway, here are some photos from us in action today with the machine I bought over a year ago. We built everything you see ourselves and learned almost everything from this beautiful website.

For those interested here is the business end. Simply set up the machine to propane and ran the grinder/flojet using a 125aH deep cell battery and inverter. Pretty simple and low risk.

LMWDP #544

markmark1

#54: Post by markmark1 »

Congratulations!

#55: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) replying to markmark1 »

Thanks mark! It went better than expected and I couldn't be happier.... I fall more in love with this machine everyday. It's a thing of simplistic beauty compared to my Aurelia.
LMWDP #544

Paolo

#56: Post by Paolo »

Well done!!!

Power to the lever!

doubleOsoul

#57: Post by doubleOsoul »

That is one stellar looking set up. Very 4th wave in a good way and so good to see the Astoria in its glory.

#58: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) replying to doubleOsoul »

Thank you Cher! I love the Astoria so very much.... I was so hesitant on putting modern lever groups on her but the older groups were too inconsistent. One had a 140mm spring and one had 130mm spring. So it made since to replace them.

4th wave is soooooooo what we are going for!!! It made me so happy to hear you say that. Combining the old with the new. Our espresso blend is designed for just that. Big chococolate and caramel notes with a backbone of dried fruit. I'm so glad you like it, you're one of my most respected and favorite members on this site Cher :D
LMWDP #544

doubleOsoul

#59: Post by doubleOsoul »

Awww... thank you so much :) . Very kind of you to say and very appreciated after this week (long story). I forgot to say that your set up would have me hitting you up for a daily shot (believe me when I say I don't buy coffee out much). It looks perfect - warm, inviting and evocative of someone who cares about more than just selling me a drink. Good luck! :D

Almico

#60: Post by Almico »

Wonderful, William! Pump and grinder running off battery/inverter power?