Descale Rancilio Silvia and blue / green water

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sakoula

#1: Post by sakoula »

Hello,

I have a Rancilio Silvia which I have bought new back on 2010.

Since the water in my area is pretty soft I do not often descale the machine. Last time I did it on March 2015. Yesterday I tried to descale using one dezcal (28 gr) dissolved in 1 lt of water.

I pumped 330ml of this mix into the boiler, let it work for 20 minutes, take it off via the portafilter or the wand or both. I repeated the procedure 2 more times.

The liquid that comes out from the portafilter and the wand has a light blue / green colour and there are very small white particles within this liquid:

My questions:

- Should I worry that I see the blue/green colour since it means that dezcal reacts with the side walls of the boiler?
- Should I repeat the descaling procedure until I have a white colour coming from the portafilter and the wand? (I am worried that the blue/green color shows that dezcal is dissolving some metal from the boiler)
- I have read many different opinions in many forums. I have read of people descaling silvia every two months. How can I evaluate what I should do?

Thanks a lot for your help!

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

The water color is normal after a descale. I usually descale about twice a year or so. I suspect it would take a century to dissolve the boiler! I use either citric acid or vinegar.

I use the method described here: http://www.espressomyespresso.com/
Scott
LMWDP #248

sakoula (original poster)

#3: Post by sakoula (original poster) »

Thanks!