Need help diagnosing Rancilio Silvia v2 problems

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pman77

#1: Post by pman77 »

so suddenly my rancilio espresso machine is not working as it should. When i pull a shot with coffee on the portafilter the pump comes on and i can hear it running with ok flow going through but it eventually it quiets down and the pressure stops. if i flip the brew switch on and off it does the same thing again. When i run it with no coffee on the portafilter the pump comes on and stays on and the flow is fast and the pump keeps running with no struggle as before. However when i turn on the hot water button the pump never runs even though the steam wand has really good pressure with lots of steam.

so what could be my issue, is it the pump or the OPV, i ordered a new pump and will replace it once it comes in but i wanted some opinions and thoughts on this.

Im not sure if the OPV goes back over time and what causes it to go bad or if that is even the issue im having, if its the OPV could adjust the nuts on it for pressure fix the issue, not sure if over time, 6 years, the nuts loosen and the pressure is lacking or if i just need a new OPV.

Thanks, P

pman77 (original poster)

#2: Post by pman77 (original poster) »

Update... I posted that i was losing pressure and that the pump was not working correctly when making a shot, the pump would struggle and the water flow would stop in the middle of the shot, i also got no hot water when i pressed the hot water button.

I have recently replaced the pump and the flow problem seems to be fixed, when the steam and the brew button are pressed. However when i press the hot water button i still get no hot water to flow at all. I hear the pump come on it vibrates but its not pumping water the weird thing is that this only happens when the hot water button is pressed. Could this issue now be the electrovalve or the 3 way valve itself, its just odd it works with the brew button.

I dont think its a pump issue anymore or the OPV since i get steam and water when the brew button is pressed. Im really at a loss here and hope someone can point me in the right direction. With the hot water button not working i can't adjust the OPV to 9 bar which is what i was going to do next :(

thanks, paul

pman77 (original poster)

#3: Post by pman77 (original poster) »

FIXED.

The pump did fix the original issue, the variable to no flow issue. The other issue with the hot water button was operator error, :roll:
when you press the hot water button you need to open the wand for water flow to occur, for some reason i thought it came out of the grouphead.

paul

Headala

#4: Post by Headala »

LOL, I was going to suggest that just now, but I'm glad you got it fixed!