Good time to buy Londinium? Great £ to $ rate! - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Corradobrit

#51: Post by Corradobrit »

The USD/sterling exchange rate finally did it for me and I booked my L1-P 7 days ago. The jump in orders landing at Londinium means there are no units available for immediate delivery so current orders must wait a week or 2 for the next batch to be manufactured. Another reason to buy was that the weak-link piston seals have been modified and now solve a common issue that many have reported experiencing, even new owners.
Moving from a La Cimbali Casa and Rocky. Also upgraded the grinder to a low mileage Mythos Clima Pro I found on Craigslist.
Filter system renewed and 220V line brought to the bar where the machines sit. All I need now are the 2 boxes to be delivered by DHL. Can't wait.

Balthazar_B

#52: Post by Balthazar_B »

Corradobrit wrote:The USD/sterling exchange rate finally did it for me and I booked my L1-P 7 days ago.
Nice move. Although the pound has risen a bit in the last week, if the Fed makes good on its apparent intention to raise interest rates in December, it's possible the pound could test its recent lows. While it was hovering at about $1.20, one could order an L2 at about $5500, if my arithmetic is correct.

Lately, the Euro has been dropping against the dollar (down to about $1.08 now), so perhaps it'll be possible to get a good deal on continental levers that can be ordered directly, like the Bosco.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Advertisement
CoffeeBar

#53: Post by CoffeeBar »

@Corradobrit
Congratulations on your new purchase, I am sure you will be very happy with this Londinium L1-P :D

Corradobrit

#54: Post by Corradobrit »

Balthazar_B wrote:Nice move. Although the pound has risen a bit in the last week, if the Fed makes good on its apparent intention to raise interest rates in December, it's possible the pound could test its recent lows. While it was hovering at about $1.20, one could order an L2 at about $5500, if my arithmetic is correct.

Lately, the Euro has been dropping against the dollar (down to about $1.08 now), so perhaps it'll be possible to get a good deal on continental levers that can be ordered directly, like the Bosco.
True, its about $100 more today vs a week ago. I was watching the fluctuation and picked my moment. My backup machine a 220V Silvia blew up a week earlier so that also factored into the decision to order when I did.

Mark_Israel

#55: Post by Mark_Israel »

The L-1 is a great machine. I've had all sorts. This is the most consistent, high quality, easy-to-use, easy to maintain machine of all that I've owned.

uscmatt99

#56: Post by uscmatt99 »

I've been using mine for a couple weeks now as my first foray into home espresso, and I'm having a blast. This forum in general is an amazing wealth of knowledge. That knowledge paired with the ease of use of the machine, I was getting drinkable espresso shots on day one. All I needed was a scale-timer and a Nylock nut for my Hario Skerton. I can get by until the next ordering window comes up for a Monolith, but the grind evenness even with the little mod is not what I was hoping for. I tried the extra 18g VST basket and experienced my first full on squirter, so back to the stock basket for now, which has been pretty forgiving. For the most part my shots look pretty good in the bottomless portafilter, although the uniformity of the "sweat" during preinfusion is not optimal. By the way I like the palm tamper I purchased from Londinium as well, nicely made and gets the job done comfortably.

Anyway, this post is mainly directed to the uninitiated. Very easy machine to use, and I love the simple elegance of the machine, both in terms of design and mechanical function.