Valve right behind the Bosco group: what's it for - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
redpig

#11: Post by redpig »

JohnB. wrote:Obviously you can use the adjustment to play with the flow rate but how many people do that? Most folks are buying complete lever machines not groups direct from the manufacturer. Hopefully the company building the machines at least knows enough to set the flow rate properly. When I asked Roberta Bosco about the adjuster she said the only time their customers mess with it is when doing maintenance. I'd still consider that is it's primary use once the group is set up & installed on a machine. I played with it anyways & found that Bosco's setting gave the best results so I haven't touched it since.
The Victoria Arduino documentation (as I can find it) indicate they recommend it for flow control. I looked into this a while ago because I thought it'd be nice to have a way to fine tune the TS on my L1. Unfortunately, my group doesn't have the threading to seat the part in it. So (as a side note) I guess you can not only order the group without the valve but also without even the option to seat it.

[[I just have the parts in a drawer now after I did remove the thread, repickle, then try it, but it reduced flow so much that my TS stalled out at 160 -- the bad fit/lack of threading was the source of that problem I believe.]]
LMWDP #411

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JohnB. »

redpig wrote:[[I just have the parts in a drawer now after I did remove the thread, repickle, then try it, but it reduced flow so much that my TS stalled out at 160 -- the bad fit/lack of threading was the source of that problem I believe.]]
When Kees was using the TS version of this group on the Idrocompresso he used a jet in the TS to control flow but an option was an adjustable needle valve so you could better control the flow for more or less heat in the group.
LMWDP 267

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#13: Post by EspressoForge »

On my VA group, it does regulate flow, but nothing like the needle valve I have inline. For me it's more useful as a set and forget type of valve. My Swagelok needle valve on the other hand can be used to change flow from shot to shot very repeatably.

JimH

#14: Post by JimH »

On a multi-group machine the the valves are an effective way to ensure the pre-infusion is consistent between groups, a valuable consideration in a commercial setting. In theory adjustment shouldn't be necessary in identical groups but I doubt that is true in practice.

It also functions effectively as a non-return valve, the stainless ball seats against the teflon seal when you lower the piston (until the bottom piston seal has moved below the water inlets in the cylinder.)

Sansibar99

#15: Post by Sansibar99 »

Paul, any more details on your new lever?
The "C" in the driptray is so ... cool :mrgreen:
LMWDP #422