My Versalab was getting worse but now it has been fixed - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
shawndo

#41: Post by shawndo »

If you are into cleaning like that, make sure you are using the pre-steamed instant rice (like minute rice)
The for-real rice will dull your burrs.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Seacoffee

#42: Post by Seacoffee »

shawndo wrote: The for-real rice will dull your burrs.
Is there evidence of this?

chipman

#43: Post by chipman »

In my 15 years of drinking espresso and following this site and CG, I have never heard one person or a representative of any coffee company that post or advertise here recommend the use of regular rice to clean or break in burrs. On the contrary, they have always warned against it.

shawndo

#44: Post by shawndo »

Plenty of historical content on this topic. No need to rediscuss it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=minute+ ... arista.com
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Seacoffee

#45: Post by Seacoffee »

Yes, lots of historic opinion but I don't see any real facts.

opother (original poster)

#46: Post by opother (original poster) »

Well like I implied, it was something done once or very few times. It's a moot point for me since I don't have any plans to use raw rice to routinely clean my burrs.

There are people however who do. It will wear your burrs out faster simple logic is a harder substance will cause more wear. How much faster and whether it is significant I don't know, nor care, so I will not bother arguing about it.

Keep in mind grinders with burr mounts held in place by plastic tabs or any grinders with low tolerance in terms of durability past their intended specifications will likely be damaged like my old meistro grinder was when I tried it.

AssafL

#47: Post by AssafL »

Well, for others who may be reading this - it isn't just the burrs. Burrs are cheap. Or relatively cheap. One can replace them easily. Actually, if you want to maintain alignment you have to either learn how to do so and invest in the necessary equipment or ship the grinder to someone who does. So in reality it may be pricier than just the cost of the burrs.

But you are also putting strain on the bearings. Bearings are indeed as inexpensive as burrs. But they are costly to replace because of the work it takes to align them and make sure they are properly pre-tensioned. And there is the strain on the belt. The cogs and motors are less of a concern as they should ALWAYS be able handle anything thrown at them*.

Furthermore, the alignment of the Versalab is simply the relative position between the top plate and the middle plate, taking into account any outrun in the main spindle. Exerting excessive rotational force on the two bolts that lock the two plates in position - may overcome their tightening torque and make the plates shift a bit - ruining alignment.

I am not saying these will happen - but why risk it with rice, rocks or anything foreign? If you want to "season" - why not use stale coffee?

NB1 - If there is an advantage to using the stock Bodine motor over an outboard motor is that *given sufficient current reserve* there is just ample torque to overcome beans - but with less risk of shifting alignment or doing permanent damage to components. The Versalab's weakness isn't the motor - it was always the power supply and belt. Using the Bodine Power Supply (I replaced the Versalab Power Board with the Bodine); with a thermal fuse and timing belt it never stalls. Not on Light Roasted beans (or anything else). I also use it at the 330-350 RPM range.

* NB2 - before I get bombarded - it doesn't mean a motor winding can't burn out - but that is ALWAY 100% badly designed system - motors should always be protected from stalling - I refuse to even consider inexpensive motor protection as an "optional nice to have" at the price point we are at - we are not a whirly blade replacement cost here.
It is unreasonable and sloppy engineering to not use thermal shutdown or current limiting/trip to protect a motor - it costs between <<$1 (for an annoying soldered in fuse) to a few bucks for a thermal trip - to a few $10s for an industrial control!
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

#48: Post by opother (original poster) »

I am glad it has a resettable breaker and no worries raw rice grinding is not going to be part of any future plans. Thanks for the tips. My old Versalab always slowed down when grinding even when new. I am sure it does affect the grind but in my experience not to a great extent since the speed was relatively stable once under load. I do believe my main problem was alignment.

I have to say I am now thoroughly convinced of the merits of being able to adjust the speed on a grinder. It gives a wider range of flavor control than adjusting the grind alone. This new capability is a significant change for the better.

Kintin

#49: Post by Kintin »

Did you guys get charged customs duties when sending your grinder for repair/upgrade? What did you guys claim on the value? Thanks

#50: Post by opother (original poster) »

Update ! Update !

My latest studies have now come through :shock:

I am actually drinking more espresso in fact I estimate I am now consuming 2 to 3 times (sometimes 4) more straight espresso than I was before Terranova repaired my grinder. :) :)