Where to find data on brew group temperature stability, especially Lelit PL41 and Bezzera Unica?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jere

#1: Post by jere »

Hello,

I'm in the need for an espresso machine, sort of urgently, so I ask for an advice. My Kmix thermoboiler coffee machine stopped working, so this would be good time to upgrade the mornings & weekends. After two weeks with a dipper this need has become urgent :-)

Reading several posts and discussions I've understood that brew temperature stability is what differentiates a good machine from a not so good one the most, as the brew pressure can be easily be controlled with an over-pressure valve? If so, it has been surprisingly difficult to find any actually information on this easily measurable parameter. Not even a styrofoam cup test, let alone measurements inside the portafilter. Nothing.

Does anyone know where to look for such data?

Especially I would be interested in Lelit PL41, plus or non-plus, probably with PID. Good looking, affordable and have a space for that ready. We have a tiny kitchen. But I haven't found any actual data on the machine performance. Obviously 25-30 ml boiler is usually too small and as obviously this machine makes good espresso when compared to cheaper machines. But that feels a bit insufficient to spend a good amount of money.

Other options I've come across
- Little used Bezzera Unica PID (not quite convinced that e61 is actually beneficial in SBDU, doesn't the group head get too warm for brewing when you steam?)
- Nuova Simonelli Oscar older model (bulky for a small kitchen and the looks barely tolerable).
- Second-hand Izzo Vivi PID (a bit pricier and 7 years old, so can get even pricier in use)
- Second Hand Breville Dual Boiler (second-hand with this machine apparently means about to break down with no reasonable fix?)
- Vibiemme Domobar Junior XH, Bezzera BZ10 and Lelit PL62 are probably over the budget, as I need to upgrade the grinder as well.

What would you recommend? I'm not on a tight budget here, it's more about what is reasonable to spend. I don't have a super-refined palate, just want good espresso & microfoam. Nothing against the waiting times with SBDU, just concerned about the brewing & steaming ability. Reasonable warm up time would be good. Space is limited and most likely I have to place the machine under a cabinet, so heavy and water-consuming HX machine with the water tank in the back is perhaps not a good idea.

One quite intriguing option would be The Decent Espresso Machine. If it ever comes to market. And doesn't cost too much for an Android device.

Jere