Laurentis single 110v fuse

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
NY

#1: Post by NY »

I picked this up, model SMEM/1 and it had some issues. It came with a flojet bottle water dispenser, working as the external pump. I didn't realize what, or why...except it was there and had been connected directly to the intake source of my machine. I'm not experienced in this arena at all. In fact this is my first espresso machine. As in, ever.
It's been torn down and descaled. I learned while doing my tear-down that the small tank behind the boiler was in fact the OEM rotary pump. It wasn't on or working when I tested the units operability. That's where I am now...gaining more knowledge but could use a little feedback. I've seen many similar models from CMA restored on this forum. I have appreciated the historical knowledge from those who posted their work. Here is the work, so far.

Advertisement
NY (original poster)

#2: Post by NY (original poster) »

After pulling all brass plumbing, frother tube, and water dispenser tube, I removed the infected scale. I was able to get a small light onto the boiler and it checked out pretty clean...luckily for me. I read up on the posts on here and was hoping I could avoid pulling apart the boiler.

Once the plumbing was reconnected I shifted focus to the pump. I had a rather hard time finding any details on the electrical for it. The fuse had been removed and the housing on it was broken off completely. It was a manageable repair bit took some work. The next issue was the small fuse cap was missing the spring, which I ended up fabricating myself, out of a broken spring off an old camp stove. It did the trick.

So, can anyone tell me what fuse I need to put in there? I have a 125V 10A fuse in there now. I guessed since my machine is a 110v and I think the motor draws 8A. It was the best I could do for testing purposes. Once I fired it up the thing started drafting water at a tremendous rate -compared to the bottled water pump!

NY (original poster)

#3: Post by NY (original poster) »

Also, several other questions. I honestly have to wonder what the heck was going on with this machines previous owner.

1. The valve that circulates water backwash. It has a little black handle sticking out the side. The previous owner removed it and stuck it on so it wasn't operable. Not unless you removed the trays. Anyone know why? I'm guessing he ran a small espresso business inside a cart and fed bottled water Into the machine and did not want his dirty scaley machine back flowing into his water. Gross!

NY (original poster)

#4: Post by NY (original poster) »

I put it back in its operable position.

NY (original poster)

#5: Post by NY (original poster) »

The next thing. By using bottled water pump- as opposed to the built-in pump they should have used! The most pressure it would pull in the initial tests was 4 bar. It wasn't enough to reach the 8-9 bar threshold. Now that the motor is back and running, and everything is working I believe I got a great deal on this unit, but have to ask myself why would you buy a second pump when you have one in the machine?

I posted a YouTube vid and will upload it to this feed below, just so you can hear the pump operate.

Problem. since descaling, (im currently testing while typing this) my frother smells like ammonia or dank-piss even though she's cleaned post 30 hrs of soaking in descale. Any tricks? I won't do vinegar...and used a pipe brush through all the tubes. I'm thinking it's just not rinsed out enough?? Or possible upper boiler grime I couldn't see?

Thanks. More pics showing my amazing water bottle pump, and the fuse that I had to rebuild.

NY (original poster)

#6: Post by NY (original poster) »

NY (original poster)

#7: Post by NY (original poster) »

Advertisement
NY (original poster)

#8: Post by NY (original poster) »

How does my pump sound? It seems to have some cavitation circling around inside the rotary but I think it's pretty good...