Espro P5 Glass French press - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
RobertL

#11: Post by RobertL »

If anyone is interested I just ordered one of these from Williams Sonoma for 20% off and free shipping. Use the coupon code Autumn at check out. Unfortunately the sale was Friday thru Monday so it ends tonight.

IMAWriter (original poster)

#12: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

Robert, nice of you to post to the community!

Fluffeepuff

#13: Post by Fluffeepuff »

Is there any advantage to the P5 over the P7 aside from price, being able to watch the magic happen (transparent), and markings in the cylinder? They seem to be identical - one stainless steel, the other glass. Not sure if I'm missing something else...?

#14: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

I Believe the P5's filtration system is an update, but've never used the P7. Maybe Randy G might have the answer?

Randy G.

#15: Post by Randy G. »

Fluffeepuff wrote:Is there any advantage to the P5 over the P7 aside from price, being able to watch the magic happen (transparent), and markings in the cylinder? They seem to be identical - one stainless steel, the other glass. Not sure if I'm missing something else...?
The basics are the same. The P5 glass also can be had with a tea filter. The benefit of the P7 metal one is that it is double-wall stainless and vacuum insulated, and if you SO washes things as "fervently" as my SO washes things then it will also last a LOT longer. :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Fluffeepuff

#16: Post by Fluffeepuff replying to Randy G. »

My brain interpreted the 'SO' as Single Origin.... let's just say I had to re-read that a few times. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the information! I'll give it one of them a shot in a few months and compare with my frieling.

CoffeeBar

#17: Post by CoffeeBar »

One of the best French press and Thank you IMAWriter for this great review :D

#18: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to CoffeeBar »

My pleasure. Typos a-plenty, but that comes with the territory!! :lol:

redbone

#19: Post by redbone »

For some odd reason I started to dislike the expected grittiness typical of French Press coffee makers. My go to at work coffee maker
Having read the the Espro line encompasses a ultra filtration sparked my interest. Luckily I had the chance to try out one of the Espro F. Press in SS this past weekend at friends place.

Results
*The Good*
Flavour is on par with any F.press minus the grittiness, I'd say improved and cleaner on the palate.
Practically paper filtered results. That being said it's easier to use a pour over device that encompasses a paper filter.
I used the double wall S.S. version and found excellent heat retention. I did add hot water prior to warm up all components.

* The little bad*
A more complex filtration system makes for more parts. Cost factor aside the real issue for me was cleaning.
Since I use it at work I want something that's not cumbersome easy and fast to clean .

Conclusion
Although the Espro comes at a premium cost once can see and feel that they are using premium materials. You do get what you pay for here.
For home use the complexity may not be an issue. For someone who wants to keep it simple and requires expedited cleaning this F.press may not be for you.

I decided to go with the Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Dripper and await it's arrival. It uses a readily available Melitta #4 disposable paper filter.
I also have a Clever Coffee dripper for one off coffee requests from wife but it's starting to become stained even after cleaning post use.

N.B. - I probably the only individual who did not like using the Aeropress and sold it. As much as I liked the results in the cup I could not stand the number of parts (bulky plastic) and process required to make a cup of coffee at work. Once again to much to assemble / disassemble and clean.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549