Owner experience with the Strietman CT1 - Page 32

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
G.F.

#311: Post by G.F. »

Awesome!

John49

#312: Post by John49 »

With a clear glass espresso cup i.e. a Bodum double walled thermoglass, the chromed cover plate over the drip tray becomes your shot mirror.

RyanP (original poster)

#313: Post by RyanP (original poster) replying to John49 »

I have clear glass cups and that kind of works for me in the very beginning of the pull, but between how little space there is between the top of the glass cup and the basket and once the steam starts coming up from the espresso, the drip tray doesn't function very well as a shot mirror, imo.

IMAWriter

#314: Post by IMAWriter »

RyanP wrote:Decided to add a shot mirror to the setup. Amazing how I became so conditioned to the feel of the lever when I'm leaning all the way over to watch the shot pull, feels like I am relearning the right amount of pressure and the feel of consistency when watching through the mirror. Probably good for my back though!

<image>
Lovely set-up, Ryan!

RyanP (original poster)

#315: Post by RyanP (original poster) replying to IMAWriter »

Thanks, Robert. It definitely makes me happy and it feels like I found my sweet spot. 8)

buddalouie

#316: Post by buddalouie »

Anyone have a hard time getting the lever arm to come out of its socket? Mine takes a lot of twisting and pulling to come out, and yes I took the two little screws out beforehand. I'll probably try to file it down some the next time I have to take it off but just wondering if anyone else has this struggle too

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#317: Post by RockyIII replying to buddalouie »

Maybe cranking down on the set screws deforms the metal rod just enough that it binds. What was the reason you needed to remove it? I have not tried, and I can't think of a situation that would require it, other than perhaps packing it up in a box.

Rocky

erik82

#318: Post by erik82 »

Mine goes out perfectly, you just have to unscrew the 2 screw all the way. It does indeed fit snug. Maybe put some lube on it if you plan to remove it in the future. Seems like a better plan than filing it off a bit.

buddalouie

#319: Post by buddalouie »

RockyIII wrote:Maybe cranking down on the set screws deforms the metal rod just enough that it binds. What was the reason you needed to remove it? I have not tried, and I can't think of a situation that would require it, other than perhaps packing it up in a box.

Rocky
Yup, I move quite a bit for work so I pack it up every few months. It's like the rod is just slightly too big for the last part of the hole. I tried lubing it up but didn't seem to help all that much. I'm able to get it off eventually but it should be way easier. I'll just have to file it down some next time I move

RyanP (original poster)

#320: Post by RyanP (original poster) »

Questions for CT1 or ES3 owners.

1. Do you use the stock baskets (if not what do you use)
2. What is your typical dose (in grams) in the basket
3. Do you notice coffee on shower screen after shot
4. When you pull the shower screen off for maintenance do you notice coffee between piston and screen
5. What do you use to clean under the group and around the screen (brush, cloth, etc)
6. Have you noticed the shower screen lose its tight fit over time