Owner experience with the Strietman CT1 - Page 31

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
John49

#301: Post by John49 »

Tsup wrote:Hey! Does anyone have recommendations for a new tamper?
Try to stick with it you may grow to like it.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#302: Post by RockyIII »

Tsup wrote:Hey! Does anyone have recommendations for a new tamper?
I like the tamper that comes with the CT1. It has a thin base which makes it easy to make sure the grounds are level. For me, a tamper with a thicker base that rises above the rim of the portafilter basket would not be as easy to level. Also, I find the light weight helpful in avoiding tamping too hard.

Rocky

bas

#303: Post by bas »

I am stil using the original tamper as well.
Like it a lot.
I do not see what kind of tamper would be an improvement...

RyanP (original poster)

#304: Post by RyanP (original poster) replying to bas »

I like the original tamper. But, I use the eazytamp out of Australia now. I think that or the Kafatek levtamp are two options that could be considered improvements if perfect leveling is important to you.

Tsup

#305: Post by Tsup »

I like original, but I think it could be little more wider, maybe 49.5mm or even more. And I would like to try flat base tamper and how it works.

IMAWriter

#306: Post by IMAWriter replying to Tsup »

Curious, is the group screen flat or slightly rounded? If rounded, it might be why a slight curve on the piston might be a good thing maybe?

CwD

#307: Post by CwD replying to IMAWriter »

Flat.

I love my Kafatek Levtamp. The auto leveling is great to have. Just wish I got 49.5mm instead of 49mm. Might get another eventually.

I have two stock tampers, a tapered and flat. Like the flat overall better. It's a really solid tamper for one that comes with a machine. A bit awkward to use at first, but nice once you get used to pressing the base itself.

IMAWriter

#308: Post by IMAWriter »

CwD wrote:Flat.

A bit awkward to use at first, but nice once you get used to pressing the base itself.
I've incorporated the OE hockey puck style tamp, which is basically all contact on the base.
BTW, with a flat group screen, I've always had better success with a flat tamper base (piston as I sometimes call it). Maybe Wouter will offer an option?

CwD

#309: Post by CwD replying to IMAWriter »

I got a flat and c-flat (c-flat is the default one) from him through special request in an email, so you can get one if it's what you're looking for in a tamper.

I like the Kafatek overall better for the autoleveling and grip, but it won't have room to do it's leveling thing if you're dosing really heavy.

RyanP (original poster)

#310: Post by RyanP (original poster) »

Decided to add a shot mirror to the setup. Amazing how I became so conditioned to the feel of the lever when I'm leaning all the way over to watch the shot pull, feels like I am relearning the right amount of pressure and the feel of consistency when watching through the mirror. Probably good for my back though!